Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and girls here is the situation. It is becoming real hard to get the car to stop. The brake peddal must be put to the floor hard to get it to slowly stop. The power brake system seems to work because when I shut off the car the peddal is pushed forward like it should be as the vacume is released. Here are the things I know for sure. The brake light has come on and stayed on for some time even when the brakes were working well. When I tried to bleed the brakes to see if maybe there was air in the system it bleed well with pressure to all four wheels but it was all draining from the front cup of the mater cylender for some reason, front and back wheels?? The pads and shoes seem to be ok, not new but definetly not bad enough to cause this problem. I thought maybe the problem could be in the Perportioning Valve? Or maybe the Valve the brake light sensor is connected to? The car is a 68 Standard Cougar with power front disk rear drum setup. Any help would be appretiated if you can before I just delve in and start replacing things in order till I get the right one

Jeff

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok ok ok, i dont have the solution, but i have to jump on the bandwagon. my brakes DO work, but when i am at a light, the pedal seems to require more effort to keep the car still at the light after it has been sitting there for a while. the front sump in my master cylinder gets low sometimes too. i thought that i may have a leak in the system, but i found no obvious signs around the calipers or wheel cylinders. the master cylinder was changed about a year and a half ago. the old one used to actually stick. i would hit the brakes hard enough and the brakes would stay locked. when i got rolling it would be fine again though. it got better after the new master was put in though. i heard that i may have a leak going into the brake booster, but i dont know for sure. what else could be causing this?? i cant find any signs of a leak and its kind of annoying. the car still works fine, but its annoying. i dont want them the brakes to fail on me again. driving home 10 miles one night with only the rear brakes wasnt fun. but it was a story to add to the pile.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
by the way, you say guys and girls?? we have Cougar women in here?? if so WHERE????!!!! lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Brakes

double check your Perportioning Valve have someone push on the brakes while you look at the valve.to see if anything leaks.there should be an o ring on the outside of the valve in a groove.sometimes it gets old and cracks.if it does leak there is a kit you can buy from a cougar dude up north in oregan for about 40 buck's comes with o ring's to rebuilt it {Perportioning Valve} hope this help:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
check your distribution block. this is often mistakenly called your proportioning valve. it is the brass block all of the lines tie into just below the booster. check for a wire connector that is plugged in wrong also check for kinked lines.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Check that booster. I had the same kinda feel when mine went. All you have to do is pull the vacuum line out of it, block the line going to the engine so you don't have a massive vacuum leak and now the car will be similar to a non power brake system. Try it out slllooowwwlly on a non crowded street and see if your pedal becomes more normal again. Obviously it will be harder than what you're used to, but if it feels normal in the sense of travel and constant normal pressure required to stop, then you'll know it's the booster.

By the way, don't block the hole for the booster, just leave it open so the diaphram inside cam move freely when you do this.
Bert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts