Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok, its not as noob-ish sounding as that, but the Accel 8.8mm wires i have on the 69 are getting burned by the headers. sooo... im thinking about a couple things. first of all, i have straight boots on the end right now so would going with the angled boots help out? the wires werent exactly cheap, but ill get more i guess. sometimes ill get a misfire out of the car and well,. seems that the wire grounds off on a header tube sometimes. so theyll need to be changed soon. anybody have reccomendations for another brand of wires possibly that will not burn so easy? or just have some boots that are more able to handle the high temps? these wires have been on here more than a year, but im still not too happy that they have been burnt a bit. it seems that the wires that are burnt more so on the passengers side. just thought id ask. thoughts? suggestions? ridicule?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I just made up my second set of aftermarket wires. Not because the first set burnt or anything, I just wanted to route them differently and they would have been too short. I had a set of Taylor 8mm wires with the angled boots on the ends. They never burnt. But, my thinking would be that the straight boots would be better than the angled for this reason... now I'm a little confused. I just made up a set of MSD 8.5mm wires and they too have angled boots. They seem to fit well but the headers aren't installed at the moment. The boots are really heavy duty.

I've seen boot covers that act as shields that are made out of a heat resistant material that look a little like that braided hose covering. I'll try to do a little more research on these. I'll check with Summit.

Just did... go to http://www.summitracing.com/ and type in protecta boot in the keyword search in the left hand column. There is a whole group of these boot covers made by Design Engineering. Hope this helps. Although, looking at the prices of these things, you could get a whole 'nother set of wires for less.
:(

Mark

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hero, you just desribed my setup to a 'T' . MSD plug wires (mine are straight-boot though, no big deal) and the protecta-boot shrouds just in case, cause the header tubes are close.

Steve - The MSD 8.5mm kits come with a nice little all-in-one tool used for both trimming the right amount of insulation off the wire, and crimping the terminals in place. Very compact, very handy, fits in a vise perfectly. Beats the hell out of the junk that Accel supplies with their cut-to-fit kits. Well worth the extra dough, in my opinion.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What's wrong with getting a set of Ford Motorsport wires for a small block 5.0 or 5.8? OK, so the distributor end is wrong, but I always use the cap adapter and electronic ignition cap and rotor anyway. Nice, elegant solution and the wires even have the cylinder number on them! I got a set for AlphaCat, with the 135 degree angle boots. Of course, I'm also running a MSD so I need the greater distance between terminals anyway.

They're available in different colors and with different boot angles. Get what you need and avoid the hassle!

·
Registered
44 Posts
moroso makes a set of plug wire protectors and they work great they are made from like kevalar or something likr that cheap too

·
11,000 Posts
Ed Zachery!

The Accel plug wires are rotten imitations of what a good plug wire should be. Zero is right on about how much better the MSD wires and tools are.

I think the straight boots give you the most clearance on a Windsor type installation.

ZeroTolerance said:
Hero, you just desribed my setup to a 'T' . MSD plug wires (mine are straight-boot though, no big deal) and the protecta-boot shrouds just in case, cause the header tubes are close.

Steve - The MSD 8.5mm kits come with a nice little all-in-one tool used for both trimming the right amount of insulation off the wire, and crimping the terminals in place. Very compact, very handy, fits in a vise perfectly. Beats the hell out of the junk that Accel supplies with their cut-to-fit kits. Well worth the extra dough, in my opinion.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you want to go with a universal set, I had good luck routing the Accel 9003 with the vari-angle plug end on my car. ACC-9003 at Summit. The vari-angle lets you bend the plug end to the angle that best fits around your header and the silver coating is supposed to help with heat reflection. Works for me.
Don't buy them at Summit though, try ChimpToast on eBay. 1/2 the price of Summit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts