Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am going to try to convert over to the 3G alternator from my stock alternator thats in my 67 Cougar now. First off what 3G alternator is a direct bolt in to my stock brackets? I know I have to change out the pulleys and put the old pulley onto the new 3G alternator, but I have looked at some wiring diagrams of the 3G and I was wondering I see there is a 3 wire plug with marked letters and I see the terminal marked "I" should go to what and where is the best place to pick this wire up at. All the other wiring for alternator is easy to figure out with the diagram I have seen

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah they're plenty of posts about it. The alternators from 96/97 Ford Taurus bolts right up. The I wire goes back into the alternator, the larger red wire goes to the Starter solenoid (batt side) and the third wire goes to a 12v switch with a 560 ohm resistor in the circuit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
get the 3g kit from PA Performance.com

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i also used the kit from pa perf---have your local machinist remove the folded over lip on the alternater side of the pulley---better than grinding the case---use a # 6 wire to the solinoid and i used a 150 amp maxi fuse in the line for protection
doctordesoto

·
Registered
669 Posts
Question is, why do you want to switch? I just did it on the '69 because of extra electrical stuff especially the big condensor fan I have. With a/c on, fan on, radio on the stock alternator could not keep up especially at idle. I'm in a high traffic area so I'm often at a light. I pulled the alternator from a '95 mustang in a wrecking yard and pulled the harness with it. It already has the larger wire and a fusible link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts