Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an under the hood upgrade kit to replace the componnents under the hood on my 68 XR7 302. All the original stuff was missing except for the expansion valve which is mounted under the hood right at the firewall. I have been told that I have to replace this old one with the one supplied in the kit but can not get it to move. Have been spraying the fitting with penetraing oil for last couple of days at least a few times a day, nothing. Anyone taken one of these out before? The other fitting coming from the firewall accepted the line no problem but I noted that the nut on the fitting on the car does NOT move, tighten hose to fitting and use wrench to make sure don't twist tubing coming through firewall. I am not sure if the fitting that holds the expansion valve moves or not. Expansion valve is difficult to get a good purchase on because there is no "wrench specific" point, have resorted to channel locks to try and move it. Am really stuck and cmpany that sold me kit is NO help. Please Help...
Charlie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe you could post up a photo of what you're having a problem with. I replaced mine without any issue so I know it can be done. Almost sounds like someone may have soldered the connection.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I once had to use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut a groove in both the old hose and the expansion valve. Then was able to spray Blaster in there and after a few days it broke loose.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That thing is really in there!!! Guess that is why someone took all the rest of the A.C. components but left this behind... Does the nut on the firewall side turn, or is it soldered like the one next to it? Don't want to break anything that will require taking the dash apart...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was afraid of twisting off the evaporator tube when I encountered the same problem. I heated the old expansion valve with a propane torch and was then able to break it loose by putting one wrench on the nut and another around the expansion valve and squeezing both wrenches together.

JAMES

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Probably not much help as mine came right off but I used a wrench on the line and a small pipe wrench on the valve?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't tried heat yet...Lots of oil on the fitting. maybe if I keep a fire extinguisher close by : ) Once I get this thing off I can hook up hoses to compressor and charge. Can't wait to have A.C. it is going to make the car more usable for me during the summer. I hope it just breaks loose, would make life so much simpler... I will try a pipe wrench in morning and see if that does the trick. Hopefully putting the new one in will be a snap.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the biggest adjustable (Crescent type) wrench they have. Use that to turn the valve. Use the correct size open end to hold the fitting on the evaporator. Put force on the wrench holding the valve, and then tap the wrench with a hammer. The shock you put into the wrench will break the stiction with a snap or a popping sound.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will give that a shot... So far brute force, penetrating oil and heat are not working to move this thing. It seems to really like being just where it is.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got it loose!!! Had a buddy that works on cars all the time come over and he used a jerking motion on the two wrenches to break the stiction between the two parts and got it to finally come loose. The rest will hopefully go smoothly, just hoses left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts