Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I took out my rear seat and started cleaning out the floor I noticed a 1/2" to 3/4" gap in the seam that is circled in the first picture. I was able to get it back togther to match the other side. My question is ,it was filled with some black goop that oozed out.Is it supposed to be filled with some kind of sealer or should it be spot welded or just welded together.I could not tell on the other side(last picture) but it didn't look like it had any thing in it.

032411 0011.jpg 032411 0021.jpg 032411 0041.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
huh? IDK - I would throw a couple of spot welds on it just for giggles and then a seam sealer should be ok. Just something to keep things from moving/shifting around should be all it would need. Plus you don't want to create any place where moisture could get caught...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am changing floor pans in mine right now and had a seam that had separated probably from someone putting a jack under it. I just hammered it back together, welded it, ground it, and will goop it with seem sealer when I do the rest.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ditto--you should probablyat least spot weld the seam and seam seal both sides---our 67 had a similar area and the floor was full of sand--i'd also recomend dynamat type insulation and/or julianos 1/4 closed cell foam as neither will absorb moisture as the orig stuff did
doctordesoto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts