Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 289 that the original owner tore apart for some reason and cant figure out why as he kept all the gaskets as well and they came off of the engine in one complete piece and look like they are about a month of engine running wear on them. Checked the cylinders and they look fine, crank looks fine, all main and cam bearings still have that sorta mat silver finish to them with no signs of wearing through to the next layer. PO bought this Cougar and took it home and tore it apart right away to restore so maybe he did the same with the engine as he had other ideas for it.

Now I looked at the cam and all lobes look good with no real wear either and the surface of the hydraulic lifters looks like they were never run as I can't really see any type of real wear on them at all.

Now I am trying to find out what cam this is as this is the numbers I got off it.

- Half way down the cam has a 1206
- Further down has a C5 or a D5
- the end of the cam where the cam eccentric goes is a E226 or L226 as well as a 965212.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still need help from a cam guy here as I Google'd all the numbers I could find on it with no hits. Anything else I should maybe look for?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts