Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello from germany,

today i want to register my 1968 cougar here in germany. but the lady wouldn´t register it. in my US-title of the car is not observed the "day of first registration in USA". this date is needed for a registration here in germany. are anybody here in the forum who can help me with my problem? I´ve heard, that in USA is a "american department of transportation, motor vehicle devision", there i can get a document of the "vehicle registration" with the date of first registration??? but it´s not easy to order the document from here in germany. Or is there a other alternative to get the date of the first registration? perhaps with my plates or VIN???

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH. Hope you can help me. Thank you...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Would they take a Deluxe Marti report? They indicate the 'sold' date.

The various states that I worked with, aren't always accurate with that date. I know that California often indicates the first date sold as 00/00/68, or a variation of that date style.

Your English and punctuation isn't bad at all.
I have tried to read much worse on other forums, from some of the 'No children left behind'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
http://dmv.ca.gov/online/vr/welcome.htm

here is a starting point - not sure how you can register as it is for California only but you might be able to use the online form and email it in
I'm not certain, but I believe that form only applies if the purchaser has registered in CA.
Haras-GERMAN, did you receive copies of either of these two forms?

Notice of Release of Liability
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg138.pdf

Bill of Sale
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg135.pdf

·
Registered
391 Posts
In California, the DMV has not kept track of when a car was first registered/sold for quite a few years. A current certificate of title aka "pink slip" (which has been green for years now) will not show the the original date first sold, but "00/00/68", as CougarCJ mentioned. The CA DMV no longer keeps the information you seek, and I assume that you don't have any of the old registration cards (from about 1983 or older, as I recall) for your car which did have the original date of first registration. You might have to explain to your local DMV worker that it's just the way it's done here. Honestly, I would write the DMV at their address for international customers at:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customer Communications C-165
P. O. Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

or call the CA DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and ask your question. I know it would be expensive but you've got a very unique problem. Leon had a good idea about trying to register it here, but I don't think that the CA DMV would process your application with a non-US address. They are pretty particular about what they will/will not do. For what it's worth, the one advantage to calling them that I've personally enjoyed is that the people who answer the phone are very interested in helping the caller, something I've definitely not enjoyed when in the office or corresponding my mail. Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
In California, the DMV has not kept track of when a car was first registered/sold for quite a few years. A current certificate of title aka "pink slip" (which has been green for years now) will not show the the original date first sold, but "00/00/68", as CougarCJ mentioned. The CA DMV no longer keeps the information you seek, and I assume that you don't have any of the old registration cards (from about 1983 or older, as I recall) for your car which did have the original date of first registration. You might have to explain to your local DMV worker that it's just the way it's done here. Honestly, I would write the DMV at their address for international customers at:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customer Communications C-165
P. O. Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

or call the CA DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and ask your question. I know it would be expensive but you've got a very unique problem. Leon had a good idea about trying to register it here, but I don't think that the CA DMV would process your application with a non-US address. They are pretty particular about what they will/will not do. For what it's worth, the one advantage to calling them that I've personally enjoyed is that the people who answer the phone are very interested in helping the caller, something I've definitely not enjoyed when in the office or corresponding my mail. Good luck!
Dennis, looks as though you've got the proper answer to his question, but, can you call an 800 number from overseas? Would this be a more appropriate number for DMV? International Registration Plan (916) 657-7971 http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/ombudsman/directory.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://dmv.ca.gov/online/vr/welcome.htm there i need a California driver's license or California identification card to become a certified user but i´m from germany :-( is there nobody here in the forum who can order the document for me? I will pay for the service. The Cougar was always registered in California from 1968 to 2010. I´m sure, that there are the original "black plates" are still on the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
DesertDave, good point.

Haras-German, it looks like you could fill out the form and send it in to get an answer, and there is a fee involved. Unfortunately, I'm not a "Certified User", so I can't do it.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Haras-German, it looks like you could fill out the form and send it in to get an answer, and there is a fee involved. Unfortunately, I'm not a "Certified User", so I can't do it.
Dennis, look at this statement on the INF 1125 form, "DO NOT COMPLETE THIS FORM UNLESS YOU ARE REQUESTING YOUR OWN DL/ID RECORD OR YOU ARE THE CURRENT VR REGISTERED OWNER ON FILE WITH THE DEPARTMENT". I interpret this to mean that if you are not the current registered owner of this vehicle, then DMV will not provide the information. So, I wouldn't think it would matter whether you mailed it in or went the Certified User route.

Haras_GERMAN, did you receive any kind of California DMV paperwork when you purchased the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VIN and Plate Number not listed? Do you have any info on when your car was last registered in California (are there any stickers on one of the license plates with month/year)?
IMG_0212.jpg that´s the rear plate. I´ve no paperwork of California DMV. I´ve only the "Certificate of Title" and the Plates (VIN 8R91F517080). Perhaps could even call anyone for me the DMV??? My English is not so good for a call with the DMV :-(

·
Registered
292 Posts
I take it that the PO is unavailiable to get the information? If car was bought through a Dealer, They should be able to get that information. And If PO is(or if from an estate) the person responsible should also be able to get information as they are the last/responsible person of record. Just wondering. perhaps someone in Cali, can at least contact these folks for him?

Lloyd

·
Registered
391 Posts
Haras-German:

I called the DMV for you today, as I had some time to kill. ;-)

They instructed you to complete DMV form INF 70, which you can do by printing it out and mailing it to the address listed on the form with payment, or you can complete it online and submit payment. The CA DMV will then provide the requested information. And since it will be on one of their forms, hopefully the German DMV office will accept it.

The form is online at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haras-German:

I called the DMV for you today, as I had some time to kill. ;-)

They instructed you to complete DMV form INF 70, which you can do by printing it out and mailing it to the address listed on the form with payment, or you can complete it online and submit payment. The CA DMV will then provide the requested information. And since it will be on one of their forms, hopefully the German DMV office will accept it.

The form is online at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf.

Good luck!
Thank you so much !!! I will try it and hope it works

1 - 20 of 20 Posts