Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys!

It's been long time since I last wrote here...

Anyway, I'd need some help when doing my underhood things.

What colour ( original ) should the hood supports be?

Second, what colour should be hood lock system?

Then I lost two bolts from battery tray. Does anyone has these original bolts? I paid for them, of course.

Could someone also send pics where I can see the whole engine bay clear. Or give me links or something...

And the car was '69 Cougar Standard Coupe with 2V 351 W.

Thanks already for your help and have a nice day!:sun:

-Sami from Finland

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I quess anyone don't want to help.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
If by hood supports you mean the vertical hood latch supports on either side of the center grill, they are slop grey. The hood latch itself with the lever to open the hood was natural. The bracket that the hood latch attaches to on the front of the radiator core support is also slop grey as are the shock tower braces.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If by hood supports you mean the vertical hood latch supports on either side of the center grill, they are slop grey. The hood latch itself with the lever to open the hood was natural. The bracket that the hood latch attaches to on the front of the radiator core support is also slop grey as are the shock tower braces.
Thank you, this helps a lot.

Does this pic look like an original style engine bay?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/99991,10959/1969-Mercury-Cougar_photo.aspx

·
Registered
439 Posts
The photo is very close to original, I would say the black paint on the aprons is a bit to shiney. It should be semi gloss.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sammi, PM me with your E-mail and I'll send you the pictures of ny engine bay taken before going thru it.
You'll be able to see where everything is routed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure about the shock tower caps, but I think they should be phosphate/ oil finish (dark greyish), same for hood hinges and bolts which look a bit too bright in the photo.

"caution fan" decal wasn't put on the shroud by the factory, but '69 air cleaner seems to be missing the autolite decal that specifies the air cleaner element inside.

Maybe Snakepit chimes in, he really knows his way around the concourse thing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the answers!

I knew you would help me.

BTW, are there any engine bay colour differences between '67-'70?

I found these colours from Eastwood. What should I use?

http://www.mve-online.com/product_info. ... cts_id=277

http://www.mve-online.com/product_info. ... cts_id=276

http://www.mve-online.com/product_info. ... cts_id=278

Sorry, they are from finnish site so I quess you don't understand the language but look at the pics.

If Snakepit see this maybe he could say his word all to this...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello guys again!

I'm still doing my engine bay...

This time I'd like to know which colours were the shock towers ( the little metal piece which is top of the shock tower ) and colours of the OEM shock absorbers. Anyway who manufactured the original Cougar shock absorbers?

-Sami from Finland

·
11,000 Posts
Original shock absorbers are semi gloss black. They were made by Autolite.

The caps on the shock towers were bare metal. The metal was treated with phosphate, then dipped in hot oil. The resulting finish was a sort of brown stained grey. They tended to rust after a year or so, particularly in humid parts of the world.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Royce for the answers.

This helped me again.

I will be back with my questions...:cool: very shortly...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, this time I need to know the right colour of the power steering pump and its' bracket.

Should the pump itself be dark blue or semi gloss black? How about the bracket, should it be just aluminium colour?

Then, what is the oem colour for exhaust manifolds? Some kind of silver?

Alternator bracket, the right colour?

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate your help! :wave:

-Sami

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
FinCougar, regarding the color for the PS pump, there is a tag mounted on the back of the pump around the threads of the high-pressure line. On the middle line of the tag if there is a letter F, that would be a Thompson pump and the color would be dark blue metallic. If there is a letter W on the bottom line, that would be a TRW pump and the color would be black. I used steel wool to take the paint off the tag to read the codes on the tag. John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FinCougar, regarding the color for the PS pump, there is a tag mounted on the back of the pump around the threads of the high-pressure line. On the middle line of the tag if there is a letter F, that would be a Thompson pump and the color would be dark blue metallic. If there is a letter W on the bottom line, that would be a TRW pump and the color would be black. I used steel wool to take the paint off the tag to read the codes on the tag. John
This was very nice information! I didn't know why others are dark blue and the others black.

THANKS a lot!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That is reasonably close to correct but this is more accurate:

View attachment 24909 View attachment 24910
Shock tower braces grey? Hood latch mount grey?

I thought certain that the braces were black. And the hood latch bracket natural.

I do know the horn mounting bolts are phosphate rather than silver and pretty sure the hood latch mounting bracket as well. The only silver bolts I know of in the engine compartment are the shock tower to apron ones and fender tops (although Tom at KTL says hood hinges too).

I mean no offense to you or your car Jeff, just trying to get the true skinny as it is important to me as I imagine it is to you as well.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Bob,
The shock tower braces, hood latch support bracket and the vertical supports that bolt to the top of the headlight vacuum motor and the latch bracket are slop grey. I've seen this repeatedly on original engine compartments and also on concours restorations done by Dr. Cougar.

P.M. me your email address and I'll send you the Cascade Cougar Club Councours judging sheets which include the correct finish for the bolts. Some of the bolts were either phosphate or silver cad. I defaulted to silver cad in those instances since I prefer the look.

I do like to know what is correct even if I don't always follow it. You'll notice I didn't paint my cowl or stone guard black even though they should be. Most people have no idea about this stuff anyway-even at judged shows.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

I see what you mean about the braces Jeff (and I can't see the hood latch mount, so I'll have to take your word on that). I see the silver hood hinge bolts too but am still a little skeptical. However, I have plenty of both bolts types so I can change them as needed or desired. I PM'ed you my email for the judging sheets.

P.S. I couldn't bring myself to black-out my cowl either, the paint was too darn nice to do that! On the stone guard, I thought (incorrectly I guess) that that was body color. That's what I am going with regardless.

Thanks!

Bob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts