Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help and advice..

I currently own a 1968 XR7 X code with original 390 with C6 tranny. After 3 weeks I finally got it running again (sitting for 4 years) and now ready to do some additional work. This will hopefully be passed down to my son who is 4 and had been eager for me to get what he calls his hot rod going.

- Suspension- From what I can tell this is still the original suspension on the vehicle and talk about squeaks everywhere and leans slightly on the drivers side. Not sure if I should go ahead and replace some or all of the front end and rear suspension parts.
There are many post on this site with different opinions on vendors and pricing for front end and rear end suspensions kits. I did some price comparison and it seems that a vendor Laurel Mountain Mustangs seems to have the best pricing on suspension kits. Has Anyone ever dealt with this vendor and are their products any good?
- I am also looking into upgrading the current wheels and tires on the car- Currently has the original 14x6 wheels and Hub caps. Was looking at the wheels at West coast classic cougar 67-68 15x7 cougar SS for which they indicate these will be a good fit with 225/60/15. Has anyone had any issues with this type of setting for this wheels? I don’t what tires bulging out of the fenders or fender rubbing. I am looking at placing the red walking cat center cap on these wheels.

- Front passenger eye lid- When I turn on the headlights the front eye lid catches on the front fender extension while opening and closing. Could this be an eye lid adjustments issues? If so is there a way to adjust the eyelids?

- Head light switch-When I turn on the headlights I noticed that the taillights didn’t come one at first. I turned the light switch left and right and they came on. After a short right they were off again. I turn-off the head lights and turned them on again and wiggled the headlight switch and the running taillights came on. Not sure if this is some type of ground issue. Break lights and signal work fine all the time.

- Bent bumpers- Does anyone know if these can straightened out again? Here is Austin TX there is a plating company that can re-chrome the bumper for $225 per bumper. Or is there a vendor out there with reasonable pricing on bumpers?

This is just a small list of things that I need to get and will post the progress as much as I can.

My apologies for the many questions. I am just excited to have my car back an running and enjoying working on it with my son. I am also learning on the job. It has been many years since I worked on a car just as my son is I did with my father and his two cougars (1970 and 68). More on the trial and error and thankfully now we have the internet and forums to assist us amateur/beginner mechanics.

Appreciate any feedback and vendors that I should be working with as I get this car going.

Attached is a picture of my cougar.

Thanks again,
Trini

Attachments

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I just got a suspension restoration kit from Laurel Mountain Mustangs, nice people to talk to, very service minded, fast shipping, and very nicely packed parts, i haven´t gotten to install the parts yet tho, as i took my time and painted the parts just a couple of days ago

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't know about tire and wheel fit, but $225 for re-chrome bumpers sounds good, depends on quality, eye lids can be adjusted may have to loosen all bolts that hold the complete unit and move around, the holes are slotted. sounds like you may need a new H/L switch, might try spraying some WD 40 on the contacts or some electrical contact cleaner would be better. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the video link. this will definitely help me out. looking forward to the grill tips video.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you buy the full kit from them? What is your opinion on the quality of the parts..please let me know how the install goes and the ride feels after..They seem to have a good price on the whole kit

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
truly appreciate the help. I will check the reviews of the plating company and their warranty as well. Don't know much about electrical components so I will try your suggestion and hope it works. As for the wheels here is the link I saw these at. I have seen these wheels on some members post. just don't know if they went with the suggestion from this vendor.

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67-815x7ss.html

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The link you posted is for WCCC, one of our favorite vendors. Great guys, great advice, the right parts & service. You'll be happy.

Re: wheels & tires - 225/60/15 is not a radical departure from the stock size, so it should be OK (& will look great). I run 215/70/14 on my '67, also very similar to the stock size, and probably very similar overall to your suggestion.

Thanks for posting the pic - neat car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, Thanks for the feedback. Are you running 14x6 wheels? By any chance do you have any pics of the wheels on your 67? One of my main concerns is that the tires will budge out, or rub real bad. I think its something everyone at one point worries about before dropping close 1000 on wheels.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The wheels I have are 14x6, and are the '69-'70 style. I bought them for my '69 vert, and used them for a little while on that car before I decided to go the concours correct route with my original SS wheels & repro bias ply tires.

So I put the 14x6s to use on my '67. I don't have a pic handy of the '67 with the ss wheels on it. In my gallery it has the stock wheels/tires, which I took off about 10 minutes after getting the car home.

They fit perfect though, no bulging, no rubbing. The wheel/tire combo you are looking at will fit perfect as well. It's only a few mm's off from the stock size.

Chris, Thanks for the feedback. Are you running 14x6 wheels? By any chance do you have any pics of the wheels on your 67? One of my main concerns is that the tires will budge out, or rub real bad. I think its something everyone at one point worries about before dropping close 1000 on wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris..thanks for the feedback..I will go with the 15x7 cougar ss wheels 225/60/15 BF radial TA's. Hoping i can get find a good price on them since i dont see many vendors that carry these wheels..i stilll have some suspesion work and hope its just minor and really need to fix that eyelid that catches on the front fender extension..

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Trini, here is a picture of a '68 Cougar with the 15x7 SS wheels and 225/60R15 tires:

CatVert_DP20.jpg

I just changed the tires on my 67 XR-7 GT to the 225/60R15 for a better fit, although that car has 15" Cragar SS wheels on it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That picture of your GREEN vert, with top up, is as COOL a picture one could ever see of a 68. Love the Green, and top color.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agree with everyone... this is one cool cat.. thx for pictures. Based on thread the 225/60/15 is the way to go..

Thanks again,
Trini

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I have a reseller account with Specialty Wheels but I generally buy from Don Rush at WCCC or John Baumann at John's Classic Cougars. If you're located out west, Don will probably be the better choice for shipping reasons. If you are in the East and going to All-Ford Carlisle, you could probably pick them up there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks again Bill.. I am in Austin Texas so I will have to shop around for the best price including shipping cost.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine has 225 60-15's on 15x7" rims with 4.5" back space. There are no rubbing issues and they clear the upper ball joint better than the 14" wheels did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts