Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Need Help! 1968 Cougar

642 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  face505 
#1 ·
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm not the most knowledgeable car guy, so I'm seeking a little help. Today I just purchased a 1968 Mercury Cougar Xr7 302 2 barrel. It has a Holley 650 carburetor and an automatic c4 transmission. The issue is the car won't shift into 3rd year and when I put it into drive it wont shift at all. It seems to start off in second gear. I can manually shift it. The gentleman I purchased the car from put a new shifter with a trigger looking attachment. I took this car to a transmission shop (one week wait) and he just glanced over the engine and said the linkage wasn't connected by the throttle body where it usually is.

The second problem I have can be a small one. The car keeps dying out after I drive it for it little while. I can be going down the road and all of sudden it just starts bogging down. He has an electric fuel pump connected that I think might be the issue but I'm no expert. I adjusted the carb idler but not he air fuel ratio. Like I said the carb is a Holley 650.

I know this is not he best info but if you can help I would greatly appreciate it. BTW the car is in the shop now for the transmission issue. I just don't want to be taken for a fool if its something really simple.

Thanks,

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.