Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an add in todays sunday paper,it reads-for sale 1969 cougar XR-7 351 2V,calf.black tag car flawless 8000.00 216-831-6207 The question is what dose the BLACK TAG CAR mean? I have never herd the term before. Thanks Dan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be

you might be right.Peoplearound here will go any distance to get more money for a car that wasnt from the rust belt.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Just a thought

Could it mean....California Car, Black in Color and has recently been registered (tags)? That's my take on it....

Sometimes people can come up with crazy acronyms for what they assume everyone else will understand. Just a thought....

Dale

·
Registered
88 Posts
Black Tag Car

Dan, when I purchased my 67 from it's previous owner, he also referred to my as a Black Tag. It has to do with the Black license Tags that california used to give. When I bought it he passed the black plates on to me, what significance they purport I can only imagine as I live in Utah other than maybe that the car is an original CA car or at the least was a CA car back when Black Plates were used. If you do find a definitive answer please post it so we can all learn.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
it has these... but isnt it cool??

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Notice the taillights have been de-ribbed! I'm not sure I like that look....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i like it, and ill do it again!! ha ha ha

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my gas door is different

hey sixty9,is that the original gas door?My 69 has a XR-7 about1 inch tall letters instead of the merc emblem.As soon as I finish a roll I will let you see it. Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah its an original one. the only other one ive seen is on the Eliminators. that one has like a running cat on it instead. i cant say ive seen the one that you are talking about though. a pic would be nice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A black tag car is a california car that either was bought new or was first registered in california when the black plates were used. Of course they want you to think it was bought new in California. The significance is, as with 69's car the plates stay with the car even if the car has been sold a number of times. So I would assume the cars been in califonia for a long time if not all its life.(I used to live in LA)
John
wvcat

·
Registered
632 Posts
Black tags/Plates

Sellers hoping to either confirm the cars origin or raise the value often list cars with the description "original Calif black plate car"

A couple of things about the practice. IMHO this doees not always mean what many think it means. Black plates (used from 63-4 to sometime during 1969) can end up on a car for a couple of reasons

1. the car was originally sold for the first time in Calif during the period

2. the car was sold new in another state and was rereigtered in Calif during the period

3. a more current owner wanting to imply something gets a set of black plates and puts them on a car

A couple of things to check. First check the seguence of the lic plate. The letter pattern indicates the general period of time that letter was used on new cars. Of course this pattern varies depending on where the cara was reigistered since areas with more cars went through their plates quicker. This can often be used to determine if the plates were added at a later date. Second check the door tag (though it may have been modified by a recent owner) to see if the car was suppost to be first delivered to a Calif dealer. In general it is unusual st see a reproduction door tag on a Calif car since door do not rust and are not swapped out as in other parts of the country

Though not all of Calif delivered cars were built in San Jose the vast majority were so that is another thing to check .... but then even the production plant can be altered in the VIN ;(

Hope this helps

·
Registered
123 Posts
Uh - you can't just get a set of black plates and stick them on the car...been there done that. DMV makes you go through He double L to get those plates and you have to provide proof i.e. an old reg showing the plates to have them assigned.
The rarity of the plates is what makes them desirable to someone who lives in CA. During the period starting with the 70's most of those plates were "upgraded" when the vehicle changed hands. Unless you knew you had a right to retain them they were replaced.
I have yet to see a document that indicated the letter/number sequence on any CA plates were anything other than random.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just something that i thought was cool.... my buddys 63 Riviera has the same 3 numbers on the plate. 669

but all that aside, another buddy of mine had an idea to put some black plates on his car. he had no paperwork to get some issued so he thought of picking a personalized plate with the numbers to a black plate that he had sitting around for which the car was long gone.... makes me think now.... hell i can get the old skool Cali Yellow and Black plates... but that wont look right on a 70 will it?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sums it up

That about says it all.Just another sales ploy t sell a car.Its also probably "stashed in a rickedy old garage" Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts