Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 71 Mercury Cougar (3700 lbs approx.) a 351C 4V and FMX Tranny. I am building it for some light bracket racing and need to know what kind of HP and 1/4 mile times I could expect when done. I will give you the complete setup below:

4V quench heads with 2.250 intake/1.710 exhaust valves. block bored +.030 and using TRW Aluminum forged Flatops. Sealed Power standard gap chrome-moly rings. Lunati 290/300 dur .536 lift Bracket Master II cam and matching lifters. Harland roller rockers with guideplates. ARP head, Main, Rod, Exhaust bolts. Hooker Comp headers with MPG Head Service Port Plates for both intake and Exhaust. MPG Head Service Windage Tray. Threaded valley oil restrictors to prevent cam load. Pistons, Flexplate, balancer, rods and crank have been balanced and rods have been recon'd, shot peened, and polished. (this is a 2 bolt main) Oil holes on crank have been rechaimfered for better bottom end oiling. I am running Richmond 3.70 gears with Richmond mini spool. Dual exhaust with H pipe and Flowmaster uncappable Warlocks (2 1/2") Mallory Unilite electronic distributer (mech advance) with Blaster 2 coil. Cloyes double roller timing, Accel extreme heat 9000 plug wires. Transgo 37-1 FMX heavy duty shift improver kit and TCI 3000 rpm stall. Nitrousworks 125hp plate style single solenoid/stage NOS kit. Holley 750 double pump with mechanical secondaries. Offenheiser single plane intake.

Now, I need to know along with the horsepower and 1/4 mile times, the following:

Do I need to use a standard pushrod length or is there a specific length I need. With the rechaimfered oil holes on the crank and the valley oil restrictors and windage tray, should I use a standard or high volume oil pump? Also what carb and intake do you recommend for this setup? I know this is a dumb question but what spark plugs are the best for this setup. Also is there a place I can get info about the rear differential like whether it is a 9" and whether it has 28 or 31 splines and whether is is posi or LS using the tag number or vin number? Are there any recommendations for upgrading the ignition system? Does anyone out there have this setup? Any suspension recommendations. Opinions? Please let me know this is my first bracket racer and I am a rookie to say the least. Thanks!!!

John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Jwchatm, welcome aboard!

OK, now with that out of the way, your set up is much like my Alpha Cat's. Alpha Cat ran 12.80s with abut the same setup you're running with the headers uncorked. I don't have the nitrous, though. 8" slicks, 26.5" diameter.

You're running almost 11:1 compression.
Good cam.
Good headers.
For all but strip only use, I'd suggest a good high rise dual plane intake. 4V Clevelands have big enough ports for any rpm you're likely to run even with a dual plane. The dual plane will give you a better bottom end and mid-range.
Carb sounds about right -- right size and type -- if you're going to be strip only. Otherwise, go with a 750-780 vac secondary. Again, that will help with the bottom end.
I'm not sure about pushrod length. Ask Harland Sharp about what they would recommend. They'll have to be hardened though.
Oil pump - up to you. You can probable get away with a standard pump since you're running restrictors. I like oil. Lots of oil. After sucking the pan dry once in my BBC, I like a little cheap insurance. BTW, normal Clevelands have a 5 quart system, while Boss 351s have a six quart. The difference? The calibration marks on the dipstick. I run my race cars 1 quart over now. Does your oil pan have baffles? How about a crank scraper? The stock CJ pans do whereas the 2V engines don't. I'm not sure about 'M' code 4Vs though...

If you want to run a DuraSpark distributor, you can easily run one from a 351M/400 or 429/460. They all use the same distributor as a Cleveland. If you run a MSD, you don't even need the DuraSpark control box.

Spark Plugs? I have no idea if you're gonna run Nitrous. Generally, you should use the stock 'M'-code plug for your application, but run a heat range or two colder if you run the giggle gas.

Rear end. All 71-73 Cougars had 9" rears from the factory. If all is still stock back there, you have 28 spline axles. I am also running 3.70 gears, but with the stock traction lock posi.

I'm running more converter though. Mine is a race 10 inch TCI with around a 4000rpm stall speed.

Hope this helps you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. 12.80's.....my hat's off to you. You asked about a crank scraper...the MPG windage tray has a scraper so that will help. I had not thoought about the baffle in the oil pan. Mine does not have one but I know a guy that can put one in for me. I appreciate the help!!

Also I almost bought a Mallory Unilite Mech advance dist from a friend. However he says it is a windsor part number but he ran it just fine on a cleveland. I have checked and the windsor version and cleveland version are different part numbers. Is this guy full of it or has anyone else ever heard of this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts