Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* sorry for the bad pun...

The cooling saga continues...

After many mental gymnastics (no, NOT in the pink tu-tu, that's for working out, silly!) about whether to go flex fan or clutch fan, I'm fixin' (get it? :lol2: "fixin"??? as in fixed fan??? *LOL* I kill me...), to go with a clutch fan again, I think.

However, there is a veritible cornicopia of fan options out there, I've found. I coulda SWORN I originally had a fan like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412689343&category=34202 , but I had a standard, 20" radiator fan shroud on the car, and the opening in that shroud is only 18.5" wide, so I don't think the 18" fan woulda fit. I am SURE it looked like that one though.

So, without further ado, can I get some expert opinions about what is the correct 7-blade fan to use on a the 20" radiator with a shroud?

I have a C6ME-A fan on it's way to me, but I've been told those are 18 1/2" diameter :( .

As an aside, can anyone tell me what the opening in the shroud for the 24" radiator is??? I have been toying with the idea of going to one of those, but don't REALLY have a cooling problem with my 4-row 20"'er now.

Any help or knowledge would be a great help to me :confused:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I like clutch fans much better, but thats just my preference.
the flex fans can be noisy and are more likely to liberate blades. just my opinion

rich

·
Registered
253 Posts
The diameter of my fan blade opening for the 68- 24 inch fan shroud is 19 inches. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for the input...

I currently have a 4-row 20" radiator in there, but I may just relocate my overflow tank and install a 3-row 24" one...or perhaps a 4-row (?) but I guess that's a subject for another thread at a later date :lol:

I really like the clutch fans - they just seem to do a better job...but I just can't seem to find one that will fit the 20" shroud opening correctly - even my #@$&#*# 17" flex fan rubs on the bottom of the shroud! :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts