Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been trying to find a welder for a while now to replace floor pans and Quarters on my 70 Eliminator. Been to car shows and get names but they always say they are retired when I call. Seems to be a dieing art.

I live north of Atlanta near Gainesville Georgia. Best Mike

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Not so much a dieing art, just time consuming.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
172 Posts
I been trying to find a welder for a while now to replace floor pans and Quarters on my 70 Eliminator. Been to car shows and get names but they always say they are retired when I call. Seems to be a dieing art.

I live north of Atlanta near Gainesville Georgia. Best Mike

I went through the same last winter when I needed to replace under seat floor pans and reinforce inner rockers.
People at car shows (and their references) are too busy doing their own stuff... well at least when they do not know you personally.
Also searched a professional shop, expecting it would be outrageously expensive but even there I had no success as they seemed to hate rust and prefer insurance work on recent cars... they offered to call me when they would get a slow down, if they ever would! Not good at all when you want for sure the project be finished before the season!!!
I ended up browsing small adds (Kijiji in Canada) where I spotted a couple of welders who were offering their services, at their place or mine, at my convenience. I chose one who was ironically living very close to my place (only 2 miles) and in addition, I have been welcome to help through the process and that was a great learning experience for me.
In all honesty, and despite the fact that I am not bad hands on, I would not have completed this successfully had I purchased a welding machine to do it myself with this type of work (see pic).
Best of luck in your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Don't sell yourself short Doug........ like everything, it takes a few stabs before you learn how. By yourself a cheapie welder and some practice sheet metal (or the neighbors old truck!) - youd be surprised at how easy it can be. Plenty of good youtube vids to watch/learn. Oh well, at least your making progress!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the committs and photo's. Still looking for a welder but at some point I will try myself,,,,,,,,,, Thanks Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts