Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bolts on my aftermarket hood scoop stick through the hood in varying lengths from 1/2" to 1". They're ugly (have been for years), and I'm finally looking for some type of slip-on cover.

I tried carburetor vacuum plugs, but they're not long enough for a couple of the bolts. I would like to find something similar...something capped on one end.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'd suggest marking them well, removing the scoop and cutting them off so they all stick out just far enough to put some type of cap on them so they all look the same and look nice...
If its aftermarket then your not hurting it anyways by cutting them.
Scott

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DUH! Sometimes I don't see the forrest for the trees! I'm going to use that brand new angle grinder that I haven't even taken out of the box yet! I knew there was a reason I bought it!

Thanks, guys...problem solved!

·
Registered
488 Posts
if you want to get really fancy you can cut the bolts to the right lengths and then replace the nust and washer with chrome or stainless washers and acorn nuts. its a nice touch. hawkrod

·
Registered
61 Posts
BE CAREFULL!!!!! Not to damage the lead thread on the bolts if u do the bolts will not thread into hood or nuts..not sure how the scoop holds on... couldnt u just go get shorter bolts from the hardware store...

Matt

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fiberglass scoop is built so that the bolts (actually studs imbedded in the fiberglass) can't be changed. I like the acorn nut idea, and may try that in satin black.

If I grind down the studs with the nuts still attached, then backing off the nut while lubricating the stud should cut a decent new thread.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I've now got a weekend project!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You might use 3 nuts, 2 to lock and 1 to shape the threads. You don't want to back the studs out of the fiberglass..
just a thought

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts