Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at the three cars in this thread:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?53140-Anyone-know-these-cars
Supposedly the orange/red car is a 390 'G".
In a round about way I am possibly being offered one of these cars + a little cash for my '73. Currently the '73 is my daily driver. I am not interested and have no $$ to start another project. If I let the '73 go, I will have to find another daily driver of some sort to get me through the winter until I get the '70 finished, hopefully by Spring. Therefore, if I were to get it, I would be looking to 'unload' as soon as possible. Besides the obvious rust issues we all pretty much know, and the VIN, what should I look for in verifying the 'G'? It obviously is not original, but assuming worst case scenario as for rust, etc. what would the possible value of it be in these economic times? When I was sent these pics last night, I could of sworn I had seen them at some time or another before, but not sure. It is a very complicated story as to how I have come upon these, but I'm being told that a 'viewing' can be arranged today. They are about 3 1/2 hours away from me and it will be a couple of hours before I could hit the road, so I'm just trying to arm myself with info before/if I go look. i have asked for at least partial VIN's and if I get a reply will post again. If anyone wants to PM for full story feel free to...
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ragcat, my heart says do it because I'm partial to the first Gen Cougars but my head says no (not for one car). I don't know how easy parts are to come by for a 73 cat convertible but I can tell you that for my base 69 they are getting more and more expensive each day and more amd more scarce too. I bought a used, uncracked dash for my car a month after I got it in July of 2009; I paid $300 for it. That same dash now would easily cost me upwards of $500 to $800. If the deal said that you would be getting 2 unproven, not running cars from him for your tried and true daily driver; then I might say go for it 100% but not otherwise. Plus, yours is a convertible, 2 for 1 or "NO DEAL", IMO.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:
Just got e-mail stating was best to just come look at them. (no VIN's given). Was told that he thinks they are just bodies. (part of the complications: dealing through '3rd party')
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ragcat, my heart says do it because I'm partial to the first Gen Cougars but my head says no (not for one car). I don't know how easy parts are to come by for a 73 cat convertible but I can tell you that for my base 69 they are getting more and more expensive each day and more amd more scarce too. I bought a used, uncracked dash for my car a month after I got it in July of 2009; I paid $300 for it. That same dash now would easily cost me upwards of $500 to $800. If the deal said that you would be getting 2 unproven, not running cars from him for your tried and true daily driver; then I might say go for it 100% but not otherwise. Plus, yours is a convertible, 2 for 1 or "NO DEAL", IMO.
Thanks Max. Current offer (I think-LOL) is the 'G' + $1000. Long confusing story........

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Chuck, I think the G will have more innate value than the 73 ragtop. And, really, a 73 ragtop is not a great daily driver for SW VA in the winter, not to mention the aggregate damage that will be done to it on the salt.

Trade and get a winter beater with the 1k plus a bit of cash. That's my 2 cents.
I was constantly passing up offers on old f series trucks in the 6-900 dollar range when I lived in KPT and Bristol.

Have you been through Damascus lately? There's some guy with a nice lookin' light blue Ford XL that lives right on the main road in town.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chuck, I think the G will have more innate value than the 73 ragtop. And, really, a 73 ragtop is not a great daily driver for SW VA in the winter, not to mention the aggregate damage that will be done to it on the salt.

Trade and get a winter beater with the 1k plus a bit of cash. That's my 2 cents.
I was constantly passing up offers on old f series trucks in the 6-900 dollar range when I lived in KPT and Bristol.

Have you been through Damascus lately? There's some guy with a nice lookin' light blue Ford XL that lives right on the main road in town.
LOL!! Yeah, I'm not planning on drivin' the '73 in the winter. I have a little $$ put aside for a beater to drive this winter. Just since I'm trying to sell the '73,(http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?52342-73-XR7-vert), I'm putting off as long as possible to entertain any potential interesting partial trades to keep from having two beaters! LOL!! I scour CL almost daily and the winter beater possibilities are just about endless at the moment... Haven't been through Damascus in a good while.
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The red car does not appear to be an XR7-G. Can't say 100% for sure but it sure looks like a '67 (all G's were '68's).
I'm an IDIOT!!! I missed the 'T' in my original posts! All three cars are supposed to be '67's (although the green one appears to have a '68 front passenger fender). The 'G' I was asking about is actually supposed to be a 390 GT.
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Couldn't hurt to look Chuck - I like the idea of the winter beater anyway - so it's a moot point. The green one looks in great shape for sure. Might depend on how complete they are since you will likely need a complete donor car from the looks of it..??? Hard saying without looking. Condition could be the driving factor though...you are in the drivers seat if they are incomplete because that will drive many buyers away. Also depends on how attached you are to your 73 I suppose!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The green one looks in great shape for sure. Might depend on how complete they are since you will likely need a complete donor car from the looks of it..??? Hard saying without looking. Condition could be the driving factor though...you are in the drivers seat if they are incomplete because that will drive many buyers away. Also depends on how attached you are to your 73 I suppose!
Although I have loved driving it the past three months, not that attached to the '73 (it's for sale-LOL!!).... Not being complete and driving buyers away is not such a good thing in this case. The '73 is for sale to help finish the '70 project, so anything I traded for would have to have decent saleability... Beginning to sound like might not be such a great deal for me at this time. Probably going to try and look at them Saturday anyway... The only problem with that is we all know what happens to a cougarholic when they go looking! LOL!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.