Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, pressure is on now ... only 12 days till the Nationals that will take place about 5 miles from my house. Will the car go or need a tow?

For those who don't recall my previous post, the car sits unstarted (still) in my garage and it's been that way for 9 years now. It was under a car cover all that time and had become a handy shelving unit. This spring I drained and removed the fuel tank and then I kind of got sidetracked until last weekend. Pressure is on now.

My main concern has been the fuel system (once I get the car started the next concern will be the brakes). Was hoping the gas tank I ordered would be here for this weekend ... it will need to get here by next weekend. Couldn't get pre-bent replacement fuel lines from any vendor in time for the show, so the plan right now is to back-flush the existing fuel lines with fresh gasoline until I'm satisfied that the lines are reasonably clear of varnish.

Anyway, managed to get all the crap and the deteriorated cover off the car. Just cleaning all the stuff up that was on and around the car was big project. Took care of some of the easy stuff like new battery/oil change. It's no show car by any means, but man it's good to see it again ... pics attached.

Rob

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/hammerrob/CougarJuly 4th/

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks pretty good from the pics...hope it goes for you and you don't run into any problems getting it on the road... be sure to check those tires, 9 years is a long time, even if they weren't sitting on the ground. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lookin' good! hope you get to drive it there, but either way, I'm happy to check it out and buy you a beer!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The car does look good and look forward to seeing it at the show. If you need any help let us know

Stu

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the car to the show turned out be a bridge too far. I got sidetracked with family issues last weekend, and really needed those days to sort things out.

I originally bought the car with a 1st gen Holley Pro-jection TBI setup, and over the past couple of days sorted out the proper settings for it (probably for the first time since I owned the car). Started it up tonight and brought it up to temperature for the first time ... and it promptly started puking steam & coolant out of the overflow. Based on the temp differential between the upper and lower radiator hoses (Fukishima reactor3 vs room temp) it looks like I need a new thermostat. I could probably replace it before the show tomorrow, but I still haven't even looked at the brakes ... looks like a Cougar-less visit to this show.

Cool part about this process: getting my 13 year old son involved. He's only been mildly interested in the parts that involve getting dirty, but even last night it was fun and handy to have him eagerly available to crank the ignition while I poked around with the TBI. My wife always had this 'can I go now' attitude when I've need someone to crank the ignition!

Rob Hamill
'68 XR7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts