Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, I am restoring a 1972-1973 Merc Cougar which raced in NASCAR from 1974-early 80s. It was owned and driven by Harry Jefferson, also raced by David Pearson and Derrike Cope out here on the west coast.

We took a bit of a hiatus restoring the old girl while I focused on other projects but we are planning to finish her in record time; before the end of this month so that she can be raced again to help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Ford Cobra down near LA (she'll be raced on the streets of Pomona). Wish us luck!

Below are some pictures of it racing back in the day

You can see more about the restoration including semi-daily updates at http://NASCARCougar.com

Thnx!
shaun

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very cool project!!! I've always liked seeing the various Cougar Race Cars out there (Trans-Am, Nascar, Pro-Stock, Funny Car)! When is the race in Pomona???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, been a while since I posted the status on the car. She's taken a bit longer then expected but if all goes well she'll be on the track again after a 30+ year rest; running at this years 2013 Sonoma Historics in the drum brake group!

Some recent photos

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Me Four, please keep us posted Way cool! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I LOVE stuff like this. Keep at it and thanks for the update.
As much as I hate to say it, I wholeheartedly AGREE Mark! Now let's not let this become a regular thing, huh? :buck:

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
If you have more detailed pictures of how you manufactured the flared wheel arches I'd love to see them.

I'm considering a similar look for mine, somewhere between Nascar replica and pro-touring.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Only a serious rodder has a flame job on his welding mask!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts