Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently looked up the NADA guide values for 1968 Cougars and was somewhat surprised.

http://www.nadaguides.com/

I was wondering what folks here think about the values that NADA has listed. I think they are on the high side but I figure that the NADA must calculate these numbers based on something. Any thoughts?

:smoke:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think that when I get done with mine the value will actually be below the cost of the restoration, however if I were to want to buy a car complete I don't think I would pay what they are quoting. ?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Except for the investment grade cars (GT-E, Boss and CJ Eliminators, for example) that one of the members here tracks, NADA values are well above private party retail. According to NADA, my '67 XR-7 GT with a/c, when I finish the interior this winter, will be worth $52,000 since will then be a fully restored (but not #1) car. But the market reality is that I'd probably be doing well to get $25-30K for it as a turn-key high #3 or low #2 show car.

As a running, driving car in survivor condition with all original parts (CA smog, original air cleaner, carb, etc) included, I paid $13K for it. The engine and transmission were already rebuilt and it's equipped with tilt/tilt-away as well as AM/8-track. According to NADA, I should have paid close to $20K for it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think I have two J codes and an X code that could be yours if you believe that NADA values. :lolani:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
DEALER values are not relevant in 80% of the cars traded/sold.....just try selling yours to a dealer and watch them laugh when you want NADA value....they however want it when they sell it to you! Ironic huh?.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts