Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68' with a 302, I decided to change my C4 to a manual 3 speed. After installing the pilot bearing, clutch and tranny, and i mean just after, once the jack was out and support bracket bolted, oil started dripping from around the flywheel.I doubt it is the rear main as it was all of a sudden. has anyone had with this issue before?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didnt, will just lok-tight work?, also why would it start leaking after the the tranny is installed and not before?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've always used non-hardening Permatex sealant on the bolt threads. I'm sure there are more modern sealants out there that work fine too. As to why after the trans. who knows? Maybe turning the engine to align things allowed the oil pump to push some oil through. It still could be the rear main if you moved the crankshaft forward or back when making trans. conversion.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You don't have a friend playing a prank by adding some oil to your floor do you? Had that happen to a guy we worked with years ago, they not only "spilled" some under his car, but also reached under there with a spray bottle and gave it a bath on his oil pan...he paid to have it towed home (not wanting to damage anything) when he figured it out he actually laughed about it....

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
You don't have a friend playing a prank by adding some oil to your floor do you? Had that happen to a guy we worked with years ago, they not only "spilled" some under his car, but also reached under there with a spray bottle and gave it a bath on his oil pan...he paid to have it towed home (not wanting to damage anything) when he figured it out he actually laughed about it....
He is a better man than I am...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Did you start the engine before noticing the drip? It seems unlikely that oil seeping past the threads on the flywheel bolts would show up as an immediate oil drip before even running the car. Are you sure you put all of the flywheel bolts in? A missing bolt would essentially leave a hole directly into the oil pan. When you let down the jack, the engine tipped rearward allowing oil to flow to the back and out of the missing bolt hole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I didn't start or even turn over the engine and all 6 bolts are in and were torqued. The leak occurred literally seconds after bolting in the cross member. I am going to take it back out this weekend and inspect. Also the leak appears to be between the fly wheel and tranny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took off the flywheel and it was the rear main. However when i got to replacing it i noticed the main bearings were worn down to copper :(. and to add insult to injury hen I drained the oil about half a cup of coolant came out. So the heads cane off and I was sold a car with bad head gaskets, so the block and heads are off to the machine shop to get fluxed as a cautionary measure, and since it's there why not make it a 331 stroker. Question I have read a 3.03 toploader can take up to 500 HP is this remotely true or do I need to up grade my tranny?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts