Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Tiffany I noticed that there is a red light about the size of a quarter right next to the headlight switch. Now I had never seen the light come on before, until last night. What I discovered is that this light comes on when the emergency brake is set and the car is running. The question is.... Is this a factory light or what .... my 68 does not have this light and I can't remember ever seeing one on another cat. Let me know what you think.

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.... It's just a wierd thing. With the key on but engine off it blinks and when you start the engine it stay in steady. It just looks like something that somebody added on. But it's kinda cool.

Don

·
11,000 Posts
Parking brake warning light

Push forward on the parking brake handle, it should go out. It is a common option on '67 standard Cougars either by itself or as part of the convnience lighting group.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey again Don....ya...like Royce said! I am looking at the 67 Cougar "accessories and optional equipment" brochure it shows that light in two places. The first is part of the "courtesy light group" that includes the rear roof pillar lights, luggage compartment light and the parking brake warning light. And it indicates that this is a factory installed option. Funny though...I have the light group on my 67 but no emergency light??:( The second mention is later on in the booklet as a stand-alone option.... and I quote..." Parking Brake Warning Light... Bright flashing signal on instrument panel warns that your parking brake is engaged - light goes off when brake is released. Warning light works only when ignition is on. Dealer Installed. Basic Part no. 15A852" It also mentions the light in the owner's manual. There you go, hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool... Thanks Bruter/Royce...... I checked it out today when I got home ... I had it bass ackwards. It flashes when the motor is started and steady when the key is on and motor is off......

Who knew?????:1poke: :1poke:

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts