Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 69, I had a problem with the front tires (both sides) going flat. They seemed to go down very slowly and then more rapidly until there is literally no air left. I assumed I had slow punctures, or that the valves were done in.

The tread was low on the tires in any case, so I went to my local tire shop and got new tires and valves fitted.

They went flat again within 2 days! Arrrrrghhhhhh

So now I am poorer and still have to pump up both tires every time I want to move my cat (when you have a garage which is only a few inches bigger than the cat itself - this is quite a pain in the a$$).

So.....I take the car back to the tire shop and complain and they sealed the beading up with some special goo or other. I was told that would do the trick. Guess what? I'VE STILL GOT 2 FLATS!!!

My cat has the eliminator style styled steel wheels with 225/70/15 Cooper Cobras. The old tires were Firestone. The mechanic says there was no corrosion whatsoever in the wheels and assures me new valves were used.

Has anyone else had this problem with these (or other wheels).

Any help much appreciated.

:confused: :confused: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
leaky wheels

If you've successfully eliminated the valves, valve holes, and tires, then the next part of the equation is the wheel.
I had this problem with a set of Cragar wheels on a street car I built.
Try painting the inner part of the wheel with any kind of spray paint. Then reassemble the wheel after the paint dries. This is a good way to check for leaky wheels. That way you know they are bad or good for sure, and can look into other things if they aren't. And the paint is a good temp fix.
Other things:
Check for burrs in the valve stem holes.
Try the bolt up valve stems instead of the pull through kind.

good luck
kraven

·
Registered
889 Posts
When I got a 95 astro they put wider tires on the factory aluminum rims and they kept leaking down.I di the same as you did .The next set of tire I got I went with the factory specs I havnt had a poblem yet.I took a set of crager gts for my sons car and had the tire guy match the rims 16X7 so far no leaks.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Are you talking about overnight or a week. Have you tried taking a soapy solution and put it on the tires with them slightly overinflated and check for any bubbling to trace the leak?

don

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some times they don't go down after 2 weeks. Other times overnight. I have thought of swapping the front and rear wheels to see if the front two (the ones that were on the rear) then go flat. Maybe the oversized tires combined with the weight of the car is an issue here? I have never lost any pressure in the rears and I don't seem to lose any pressure whilst driving.....even on long trips.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Keep the suggestions coming please.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You could also try running a tube in the wheels temporarily. That way you have the air supply isolated, and it's way cheaper than buying new wheels.
*shrug*
just a thought.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thats what happened to my Astro,all the weight was on the front.They just put the wrong size tires on the wheels.Once I put the correct size on by looking at the door sticker Iv'e had no problem since.If you got after market rims go to a good tire place and some one will match the rim to the tire.My sons has had NO leak down at all with 16X7 Cragers SS for 2 weeks.Your losing the air on the bead.Good Luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
For a quick easy fix that doesn't require removing the tire from the rim get two cans of Fix-a-Flat. As it is a minor leak it should completely solve the problem until the tires wear out.
Yes, I know I have probably made a major blunder by even suggesting this fix but it is CHEAP and INSTANT.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not convinced the leak is from the beading. I have already had the beading sealed by the professionals using their special black gloopy stuff that they have. It's supposed to pretty much seal anything. I am going to try the soapy solution next I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd have to say the wheels arent ture, and when the misshapened part is on the ground is when you are lossing your pressure.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bowez said:
I'd have to say the wheels arent ture, and when the misshapened part is on the ground is when you are lossing your pressure.
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean the tires are out of shape slightly or that the wheel tracking is out. I don't see how that affects it, but then that's why I started the thread. I'm no expert after all.

I have noticed that if one goes flat, then the other takes longer to deflate, almost as though the shift of weight helps.

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Rim itself is not true, most likely has a flat spot on it. If that is the case no matter what you do the tire will not be able to hold air until the Rim is repair or better yet replaced.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
that's why i posted about painting the interior surface of the rim.
Painting it with spray paint will temporarily seal it and show you the problem.
Or you could pump it up and immerse it in soapy water. But if the portion of the wheel that is leaking need pressure in the form of vehicle mass to distort, the soapy water won't work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anit heard of the paint trick, but its worth a try; though can almost garauntee the rim is the problem

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I will look into it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts