Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when Im enjoying the summer cruses so it begins.I had the car in the yard and when I went to put it in the barn I made a slow left turn then SNAP! I lost the power steering.It got to the barn OK.I looked under the car on the drivers side just behind the front wheel and there it was--the power cylinder.The part that broke looked like it bolts to the frame its shaped like an "L"and the cylinder top bolts on to it.Q1 do you think that if I get this welded it can work?Q2Is this a part that can be purchased sepratley?Q3How did it happen it wasnt like I was on a race track or anything but there is a lot of stress on some part of the front end somewhere.If this happend to anyone else fill me in on what to expect.I know if I just weld it it wont last some thing is forcing it.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i have seen lots of welded and home made ones

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what s the cause

I had the wheel turned all the way to the left.Would that be enough to break it.I know I didnt force it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the bracket can develope a crack and then one day "SANP". the hydraulic ram is very strong and can break a stressed one easy. it is an easy fix, there should be plenty of extra ones around, I have one from a 70 cougar on my parts car, if it will work i can mail it to you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it welded

It came off rather easy the only put 3 small welds on it Il see how it hols up.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
HA HA!! so im not the only one he he jk jk. mine has a drop bracket for the headers and it pulled the bolts out by the threads. not fun at all. at least you were at home when yours broke. well, basicalyl i made a big ugly weld around the bracket and so far its held ok. id still like to take the drop bracket off and replace it with the stock one. it will clear.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheaply made

This looks like a drop bracket too.its about3 or so inches from the frame.3 chincy a&^% welds Its not too old still a yellow tinge coating on the junk probly made in china on a payday

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Steve

I took off early from work and got the lakewoods to UPS today.
they will arrive........in one week. I e-mailed you the tracking No.
hope ya like em.

richard

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all fixed

I took it down to a big truck shop,this guy welded both sides completely this should hold a long time.I dont know where this after market part came from but the way this was welded where it was made I wouldnt use this to hang my screwdriver.anyway Im happy and back on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That happened to my wife in the Fairlane, It broke right out of the froam, and got hung up on the frame when she turned, and bent the pi$$ out of the ram. Not fun, I ended up putting a 3in,. square top u-bolt in, and gr. 8 bolt on the top, and welded it on as well, It wont break again.

To change the subject, did you find a dual 4 intake for the 390, I found one on ebay for you,lol. Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848020691&rd=1

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Drop brackets should always be welded on, too much force for the bolts to hold.

I've seen 'em let go a bunch... Common problem. Nothing a maniac with a torch can't fix.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS

Thank all for the input.It looks like something to keep an eye on along with the reg. mantinance.At least its not buried up inside somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts