Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did my 5.0 / T5 swap a while back..

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?26008-Pics-of-my-Cougar-and-start-of-an-5.0-T5-swap

I still have some loose ends to tie up, but it runs great and is everything I could have asked for!

I am planning on some other upgrades / mods for the next few months, so I figured since the other thread was old, and most of the pics didn't work anymore, I would start a new thread...

The car has been in storage for 6 months.

So, I brought the car home today. Some mice got into it in storage. Doesn't look like they did any damage, but just some mouse **** on the seats.... The little ******* ran out and looked at me when I was driving it home, then scampered back up under the dash while I was trying to find something to smash him with... he will die... soon.
So I just couldn't wait, so I had to try and test fit the new tires / wheels... looks like I will need about a 1" spacer in the front, and a 1.25" in the rear. They are really going to spruce up the looks of the car. I will get some spacers ordered this week, and hopefully the rear springs, carpet, and maybe some stuff to work on the blinkers and sequentials...
Old wheels had about 3.75" of backspace, and the new ones are about 6.25"

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What is the diameter of the new wheels? I have 16's on my 68, with 1 inch spacers all around, they fit perfectly. I scored anothre set of the same wheels, and am waiting to get the spacers so I can run them on my 69...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to tear into the car yesterday after I got most of my "chores" like mowing and stuff done...
Got her up on stands...

I thought for sure I would have to FIGHT the bushing to come out, but they weren't that bad at all... Pulled the rearend and springs out together

Empty hole...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old springs compared to the new springs...
The old ones have a bit more arch, but are way softer than the new "HD Competion Handling springs" from General Spring

Old axle loaded into the lawn mower trailer for its trip out back...

I thought they were 2.73's, but I guess they are 2.79's... close enough

And this is how the project ended for the day...

Then for giggles I decided to see how the Bullitt wheels would fit / look on my CRV...
I think I need to find another set

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So right now I have the injected 5.0 and the 5spd, and am running the VSS off of the tranny, and have no speedometer. When the new 8.8 goes in, there is a VSS sensor on the rear end. Any opinions of running the VSS off of the rear end rather than the tranny so I can put a speedo cable back in?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It came from an Explorer ... Around a 97 ... Has discs, trac-loc, and 4.10's

I will do the mounts and stuff myself

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is where I am currently at w/ the 8.8 ... hoping to get it cleaned up, new seals, old mounts cut off, and partially mocked up this weekend

4.10's

Pretty sure there was supposed to be some pads on here for the E-brake

Bearings look good, but I will pop some new seals in while it is apart

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a little time between the kids, work, lawnmower repairs, and other just general **** to work on the Cougar for a few...
Got the old spring mounts and sway bar mounts cut off the axle...

Left a piece of the old mount on the back to bolt the brake line to... turns out this is still going to be in the way, so it will have to come off or be moved.

Then put the springs up and shoved the rear axle under it...
Hoping to get a little further this weekend.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:grin34:Dude - something's wrong with your rear end - it's pukin' rags!!

410 gears aren't gonna pass many gas stations....but should put a smile on your face!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You might as well replace the axle bearings while the axles are out......

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spent the last 2 days dicking with the car off and on between other projects...

Got the perches welded in... ditched the rubber "sandwich" plates....

Got the housing cleaned up and painted...

Put in new axle seals, new Ebrake shoes, and a brake hardware kit... after the backing plates got cut down and cleaned up with a grinder, and a new paint job...

Got the cover painted and installed... factory ID tag and all... :haha:

Sitting in position...

Bolted in, brakelines and hoses hooked up, etc... Still need to figure out the main brakeline, ebrake cables, get the driveline shortened, etc...

I will cut the Ubolts off once everything is in and in proper order, and i know that I don't need to add any blocks (since I removed all of the "sandwich" stuff), shims, etc....

It isn't anywhere near as pretty or perfect as alot of peoples builds I have seen, but I am just a dumb hick building stuff with hand tools and a borrowed floor jack in a carport :redneck:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are the only pics that I grabbed Saturday...
This is looking from the rear to the front. The offset pinion of the 8.8 doesn't seem to bother anything. I have had it up to 90 so far w/ no vibration

Front to rear...

Backing plates were cut down and cleaned up. I kept a little piece of the stock perch for the brake line to bolt to. On the drivers side I had to move it over a bit because it was in the way. On the pass side it was fine once it was cut way down

And back on all 4s before the first test spin

This thing is FUN FUN FUN w/ the 4.10's and a tranny that shifts right!

Now she is back up on 3 until I fix the steering line... again...
Anyone have any experience w/ the Borgeson Saginaw style aftermarket PS boxes for these type of vehicles? They eliminate this bull**** hydraulic ram / control valve setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts