·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice !

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have some more pictures coming with the complete install probably in a week. I have about 200 miles on the engine and trans since the install was complete. I pulled the motor and trans in April and finally finished with the Install in October. Longer than I expected, but I did the complete thing by myself. Only help I had was with the removal and install of the hood.

Here are a few details on the engine.

Block is 72 351 Cleveland .030 over 4 bolt mains. 10/1 Compression Ratio
Edelbrock 4V 2665 Aluminum Manifold
Holley Avenger 770cfm
Aluminum Heads (Pro Comp) 3v
Competition Cams 1.7 Roller Rockers, Springs, Guide plates, Push rods, Lifters and valves
Competition Cams # 32-246-4 Hydraulic Cam
Competition Cams Double roller Timing Chain
Milodon Aluminum water Pump
Holley mechanical Fuel Pump
Melling Oil Pump
Oil modification Kit to enhance Oil psi
Ford racing Aluminum Black Krinkle Valve Covers
Petronix Electronic Ignition
Moroso Iginition Wires (Blue Max Spiral Core)
Holley 14 inch Chrome Air Cleaner
Trans -go Shift Kit
2400 Stall Converter
New Transmission Cooler Lines
Factory M code 4v Exhaust Mainifolds
Dual Exhaust with Cross-over pipe

Sure I missed a few things, but she is on the road and running. Next is the suspension system and Paint and Body work.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I hope you removed the access cover from the trans before installing the engine........:1poke::1poke:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good job msycougar and sounds great can't wait to see you at some of the cruise nights. Sal

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That sounds like one breathing mahine there! Can't wait to hear how she roars! Keep us posted...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Couple questions:

The manifold you mention is for 4V heads. Aren't the Procomp 3V heads "2V-like" port size? Further, don't the Procomp heads have the intake port raised? Maybe the 4V on these heads will take the port raise up, but there would be a hellacious port mismatch. That has been done before, back in the day before 4V for 2V heads manifolds were available, people used to put the stock Ford 4V manifold on 2V heads and it worked. Less than desireable, but worked.

Interested to know what you encountered in this regard, if you chose Procomp over Edelbrock and why. Are they a lot cheaper? I don't think so, but not sure if you compares apples to apples.

Also, what rear gears are you running? I really wanted to run the XE274, but don't have a 5 speed or the gears needed (3.73 minimum recommended). So, I had to let sound reasoning be my guide and backed down to the XE262 until such a time that I see my way clear to the required gears (I chose 3.25, again sound reasoning) and a 5 speed to go with it.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not ripping on your engine or anything, but as a fellow "Cleveland guy" I have a few questions.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

Good questions. I did have some concerns regarding the pro comp heads and Intake manifold being compatiable. However, it really was not a big problem to deal with. The 3V heads do have smaller ports than the Closed Chamber heads that I did have on the car originally. However the edelbrock manifold also has smaller intake ports than the Stock Ford 4V intake manifold. I should have mentioned that the Heads were bought bare and I had some port work done on them.

As far as the cost goes. I originally planned to have my Iron closed Chamber Heads completely redone. But by the time I would have had the machine work and milling for the acceptance of the roller rockers with the addition of all new hardware valves, springs, seals, seats, etc the cost was going to be higher than going the route I did.

Currently the car is running a 3.25 gear with a open rear-end as far as I can tell based on what the rpm and tires I am running on the car. I know the car originally came equipped with a 3.00 gear. My first impressions with running the engine is its considerably more powerful than the motor I was running. keep in mind I am still breaking the motor and have not really pushed it yet. Either way I will probably be upgrading the rear-end in the future with either a 3.50-3.73 gear ratio. That said the acceleration has been remarkably improved and I was somewhat pleased with the performance with the 3.25 or 3.00 gears. I am sure the trans work with the Converter has also helped.

I did not consider the questions as ripping the choices I made. My biggest problem with deciding was that in some cases you just become overloaded with the decision process. I made some choices that some either may or may not have made. Its Hot Rodding, part of the fun of it for me is getting my hands dirty and applying what works and what may not work. So far I am happy with the choices I made. The motor runs great and sounds great even with the original exhaust manifolds. I really debated the header issue over and over before the install. Once I fired the endine up, I knew I made the right choice.

Scott

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good job msycougar and sounds great can't wait to see you at some of the cruise nights. Sal

Sal, looking forward to those cruise nights also.
However, with the winter months coming the cruise nights will probably be sparse. I still need to get you the top 50 award you won at the West Jefferson Car Show. I still have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts