Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally back in the saddle at the office, so now I have time to do some posting (haha) here..

First, Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes and the Kudos and congratulations here. I am really flattered and I'm really excited to see the GT-E and the Cougar in general get some well-earned recognition. It was fun and felt very rewarding to be able to experience that scene at Barrett Jackson and to represent the Cougar Community in such a spotlight.

I am very glad to have done this, first and foremost. I'd pictured myself crying after the sale (literally, especially because the car is gone and I love this car!) but I am not left with any feeling of regret WHATSOEVER. I guess a large part of that is because of the existance of Blackie ;) But the reward for loss of Gunner is so huge that it is actually very satisfying-

We now have a bit of a publicly-established benchmark. That is huge. And it happened in front of the Car World in the midst of a really soft market amongst the Chevys and the Mopars and even, to a large extent, the Shelby Mustangs and other Mustangs. I guess I hadn't really realized just how little knowlege there is about Cougars out there in the Classic-Car community. There were a MILLION lookie-loos at the pavillion where we were set up for the week, and there were a lot of eyebrows raised, let me tell you. I have to admit, I found it kind of iteresting (and predictable) how few of the Heavy-Hitter Mustang Guys that were there also selling (or shopping or hob-nobbing) managed to come up and introduce themselves and to ask about Gunner or give any comments. Every single Cougar-Guy within 20 miles certainly did. I know these guys are busy..but C'mon. So apparently there is an element of of competetiveness/judgement/jealousy and denial that the GT-E or the Cougar in general "belongs" with these other cars that get all the hoopla. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't get a hell of a lot of satisfaction with the sale price and to feel some serious validation there. Not for me personally, but for all of us in the Cougar Community!

The Comments here about the Speed Channel coverage were very mixed, and I agree with all of them. They certainly could have made the car a Fantasy-bid car, but let's remember that they are catering to the masses..they have commercials to sell. The Cougar is in fact SO different than what most think is a Muscle car or a collectible Pony Car, and I guess some auction results will have to be beat over their heads for years while the Mustangs and the Camaros and Corvettes and Cudas all get beat back to reality, value wise..

The TV coverage was actually just timed unfortunately, but the comments that the broadcasters made were very flattering. They also seemed to have been caught "off guard" and had little time to make comments. I had to laugh when they said that the Cougars "didn't really offer much for performance items"..did they not know that any Ford engine/suspension/handling package could be ordered and were sold on a Cougar repeatedly? They talked a lot about the rarity of the engine, but it could have been noted stronger that it never actually even came in a Mustang or a Shelby. Mabye they did..they seemed to speak of the buyer as though he had to explain to his wife why he'd pay so much for a Cougar. Again, respect will come..

I was a bit suprised at the lack of time the auctioneer spent on the car, and perhaps they could have broken down the bidding into 2K increments, but as Don mentioned, they found the level VERY quickly because there was very spirited bidding going on, and once they knew that other bidders were crying Uncle..It was Hammer Down. They moved a lot of cars quickly through the sale every day. The SPEED TV timing with the stupid Fantasy-bid cars was just unfortunate. It still was kind of cool how Gunner snuck up on them and suprised them with the speed of the bidding and being the highest selling car of the day was pretty neat. I heard a lot of cheers in the audience and everybody up on the stage was congradulating Cindy and I after the sale. It was also nice how one announcer said "for my money, this is one of the most special Muscle cars here". I was upset with myself for not having the hideaways adjusted a bit more. If only I'd had the time to get a dayum 5/16ths socket to just screw the damned stop down a little more!

I met a few High-End collectors and a lot of semi-collectors. When a guy fell in love, it was just plain obvious. They tended to be very down-to-earh fellows, and they had a tough time justifying (or having the actual funds ready) to spend over 150K, but there were a SLUG of guys there ready to pay 150 plus commission, it seemed.

I am also very glad that this wasn't the top of the line GT-E. It is a good benchmark because it was standard, and low optioned. I think it was pretty important that the engine block was original, but I made it very clear to everyone that the rear end, heads, and exhaust manifolds were not original.

Blackie would absolutely have blown 'em away too, but Gunner really showed well with that nice red paint. And the lack of a vinyl top.. I was very pleased, and especially proud of the engine compartment and the grille assembly and GT-E trim, I wish the announcers had the time to talk about the trim package and grille on a GT-E. Oh well.

It was sooo fun seeing every Cougar Buddy there in Scottsdale and getting to know everyone a bit more. What a great showing, at Bill's and at the auction. It was a big party, although I feel like crap that I was such a social basket case because of my cold, my nevers, and just being worn out and busy and exhausted and sniffling and sneezing all the time. It was great to have guys like Ray and Al there to take care of my Dear Mom. She got some special treatment, as did Mike's Mom ..they both said "my Son's car is over there, I have to get to him! haha.. How cool is that? Thanks Guys.. Mom loved it and she had a great time and was really impressed with this club and the friends we all have here. My kids are really shy, but it was so cool to have Tess (daughter) handing out pictures of Gunner to interested people in the staging area, and for her to be able to mingle with you all too..

Steve's Convertible looked absolutely awesome and I'd hoped he'd done better, but I think his car got him the money he needed/wanted, and I know he had a great time and got a lot out of the whole experience. It was nice hangin' with you when we had the breif chances. I sure look forward to doing Scottsdale/Phoenix again at my leisure and maybe go car-shopping. Less stress will be more fun.

Now let's get back at it, as Stacey David says-you know there's something you shoud be workin' on!

Oh, and by the way..If you have a Cougar for sale and you want to get the best possible money out of it..go ahead and roll the dice at Barrett-Jackson. It really isn't all-that scary, and you will undoubtably have a VERY rare car there. I can personally attest to that, now ;)

Thanks again, All!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Pictures!

<center> </center> Jeff Bingaman and Lonnie Sparhawk.

<center> </center>

<center> </center> Steve Meyer

<center> </center>

<center> </center> Chris Farmer and his father.

<center> </center> Al Juraco in the black T-Shirt. Below, yet another person asks for a picture and autograph.

<center> </center>

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
<center> </center>

<center> </center>

<center> </center>

<center> </center>
Can you imagine the excitement building from the Shelby owner as the Cougar in front of him races past $100k!!!
<center> </center>

<center> </center> Stuart Hyman, owner of a prototype GTE now wishes he had not polished his intake manifold back in the day! We had 7 GTE owners present at the auction believe it or not.

<center> </center> Tess (Brian's Daughter and glamor girl marketer) suggested a steak dinner for the whole party to celebrate but Brian offered $10 funnel cake to be shared.

<center> </center> Brian gets crowned at the after show party hosted by Bill Basore.

<center> </center>

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dammit, Why didn't I demand a 5/16th wrench to fix those hideaways!!?

That is embarrassing..the rubber squished a bit over the last few weeks..and some heat and additional vacume while the motor was running didn't help..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Did you have an idea as to WHO was going to be the buyer, B-4 it hit the block?

Also did I miss something, WHERE CAN THE BLACK GT-E SHIRTS BE PURCHASED?

YOU did good, made so many of us, PROUD, for sure!

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Thanks, Brian for keeping us all in the loop through the whole experience. It has really been fun seeing it all unfold!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Brian Aust
Silverton, OR

'68 427 GT-E Cardinal Red, Red Decor , AM
'68 427 XR7 GT-E Black/Black Tinted, AM

I have High Quality Classic Running Cat, "Mercury" and "Cougar" Script decals available..hit me up!
Time to change your sig, though... :toung:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
One thing I never got around to doing was intoducing myself to Chris Farmer. Sorry I missed shaking your hand....and insulting your choice of baseball cap.:evil:

Thanks to all for a great weekend!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Brian, Thanks for sharing your impressions of the whole situation. I really wanted to hang out at Bill's a little later to hear your stories but I was drugged up trying to mask a cold and severe sore throat. The thought of my 2 1/2 hour drive home prompted me to leave earlier than I had planned.

I have to give you a lot of credit, not only for a great restoration job, but gambling on a huge investment of materials and time, knowing that there isn't a huge market for such a rare (almost unknown) car. At least when a guy restores a Vette or late 50s Chevy he knows there are a lot of deep pockets out there that might bid on it. But your market was practically limited to a Mustang guy with an open mind, or a serious Ford collector. Fortunately at least one of those showed up Saturday.

It really has been fun following your progress over the last few years and right up to the grand finale. Now with all that extra shop space, tools, experience, and extra cash, what's next?

Roy

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian, Thanks for sharing your impressions of the whole situation. I really wanted to hang out at Bill's a little later to hear your stories but I was drugged up trying to mask a cold and severe sore throat. The thought of my 2 1/2 hour drive home prompted me to leave earlier than I had planned.

I have to give you a lot of credit, not only for a great restoration job, but gambling on a huge investment of materials and time, knowing that there isn't a huge market for such a rare (almost unknown) car. At least when a guy restores a Vette or late 50s Chevy he knows there are a lot of deep pockets out there that might bid on it. But your market was practically limited to a Mustang guy with an open mind, or a serious Ford collector. Fortunately at least one of those showed up Saturday.

It really has been fun following your progress over the last few years and right up to the grand finale. Now with all that extra shop space, tools, experience, and extra cash, what's next?

Roy

I'm sorry we didn't have much time either, Roy, and that I was so late..

I'm full of all these grandios ideas now that I'm still experiencing Barrett-Jackson Afterglow;) Who knows..but mostly, peace and tranquility and a serious lack of stress will be the most fun for a while. I"ve gotta be careful not to do anything stupid for a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The whole experience for me was really exciting and I'm just glad to have been there to see it happen. My only disappointment with the fast sale is just the lack of adequate exposure of the car and of discussion from the announcers. The price was not disappointing at all. Could they have milked a little more out of it? Maybe, but I think the bidders knew what they were doing. I loved seeing other high-end cars (like the Shelby right after yours) fall short of the GT-E's mark.

Brian, it was good to meet you and all the other Cougar guys who came out of the woodwork. I'm glad this went so well for you, and I know it's an experience you won't forget. You've done something huge for all of us, and I'm that much more proud to be a Cougar guy because of this past weekend.

P.S.... to those who weren't there: keep your eyes peeled for a high quality video saga of the experience. Be patient though, cuz I gotta move my butt up to Oregon this week, find a place to live, get settled in at WCCC... then go though the hundreds of video clips I shot at B-J and piece it all together!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Congrats Brian! Maybe the auction didn't go off perfect, but money talks and BS walks. In the end you and gunner made your statement with the selling price. Thanks for sharing the experience and all the pic's. Almost as good as being there. Wanted to make it to the auction in person, but wasn't working out this year. I haven't watched it yet, but have the auction recorded. That gives me some good TV time in the garage while I finish up the Boss Mustang. I would be smiling too with some extra cash in the pocket and knowing another GT-E was saved.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very cool Brian. Made for some exciting viewing!

Just as an interesting comparison, cribbed from the SAAC forum below are all the Shelby Mustangs and what they sold for at BJ.

Barrett-Jackson
Lot 958.1 1968 GT350 Fastback, 8T02J149312, Red, Black, Auto $83,600
Lot 1247.1 1969 GT500 Fastback, Grabber Blue, Black, 4 speed $110,000
Lot 1274 1967 GT350 67212F7A02659, Red, Black, 4 speed $82,500
Lot 1282 1968 GT500 Convertible, Auto $143,000
Lot 1324 1968 GT350 Fastback, Red, Tan, Auto $93,500
Lot 1328 1968 GT500 Fastback, Red, Black, Auto $95,700
Lot 1388.1 1968 GT500KR Fastback, White, Black, Auto $99,000

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Congrats Brian, I was bummed at the coverage. I am really glad it went well for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Congrats..

I am happy for you and your family and the Cougar community. This is a great response to a great car.

Believe it or not when I purchased my Cougar GTE XR7 about 5 years ago my plan was to restore the car to concours condition, with every paint daub and grease pencil marking that was found during the ground up restoration and be the first to take it to BJ', but stage 4 cancer changed my plans, I lost a year of working on the car.

Having said that I am excited for you and appreciate all of the hard work you and your family had to endure to get the results that you did.

This is the first step for everyone who owns a Cougar GTE, to finally get the recognition they deserve. I'm 99% done and I just moved from Vegas to Toledo Ohio, guess I should have advertised it for sale in Vegas, could have had a buyer for it, Ha. This is just the begining and my opinion is who ever takes their Cougar to Scottsdale next year will receive even better results, unless it's in poor shape.

Once again, my hats off to you.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Lot 958.1 1968 GT350 Fastback, 8T02J149312, Red, Black, Auto $83,600
Lot 1247.1 1969 GT500 Fastback, Grabber Blue, Black, 4 speed $110,000
Lot 1274 1967 GT350 67212F7A02659, Red, Black, 4 speed $82,500
Lot 1282 1968 GT500 Convertible, Auto $143,000
Lot 1324 1968 GT350 Fastback, Red, Tan, Auto $93,500
Lot 1328 1968 GT500 Fastback, Red, Black, Auto $95,700
Lot 1388.1 1968 GT500KR Fastback, White, Black, Auto $99,000
So.... The GT-E will never sell for Shelby money..... LOL!

I will give you credit for one thing cobrasc427 (Jeff); you did call the part about it taking a big auction to make the car get the notice it deserves. I hope that your recovery is speedy and complete.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff,

Was that you who we all were debating with (OK, Royce especially!) 3-4 years ago on here about wether the GT-E was regarded a High Performance Vehicle, etc..?

I too hope you are recovering or heading that way. I was just struck to see your name on here and thought it looked familiar. You are one of the ones that helped drive me to "prove it" with this GT-E. Thanks for that!

Again, to your health,

B

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I will give you credit for one thing cobrasc427 (Jeff); you did call the part about it taking a big auction to make the car get the notice it deserves. I hope that your recovery is speedy and complete.
The fall in the Shelby market has been a bit eyebrow-raising. I'd love to find me that '66 or so GT350 for a driver, and I'll bet it won't be too hard to find. Funny thing is, now there are so many around for sale, it might not be too hard to find for a few years. Supply and demand is a very very touchy thing..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't believe I ever said a GT-E would never sell for Shelby money flat out. I believe what I was trying to convey was that they never would UNTIL they were taken to BJ.

If I thought that they would never bring the big money, then why did I buy one, why did I do a ground up restoration, every nut and bolt .

This car is a completely original car, engine, heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, tranny, rear end, every grease pencil mark has been reproduced as it was originally on the car, documented with photos. Over 2000 photos, I did all of this because I was hopeing to sell it for 70,000?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts