Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 67 standard ~

why does my foot get wet when it rains or I wash the car? Where exactly does the water come from? I've heard a couple things about vents or cowl areas and I think something about it being the california acid raining just burning directly through the car and onto my foot.

This is only on the driver's side and it hits my left foot usually... so over left of the brake pedal'ish...

Anyone? Anyone?

:klo:

Robert

·
Registered
648 Posts
While they're at it, perhaps they can tell me where the water on BOTH sides might be coming from...

We had a pretty good rain on Sunday and I forgot to put the car in the garage. Both sides of the floorboards had water on them.

:1zhelp:

Ken

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 67 also, and when it rains it poors. were i found my water coming in at is the vents. How to repair this i don't know. When i wash her i am very careful with the water but still manage to get wet. So i also need help with this minor problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your cowls are probably rusted out:(
I'm not sure but I would think that to fix this problem you would have to cut out the grate(not sure what formal term is) in front of the wipers, fix the rust, and then weld the grate back into place.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Wet feet

Sorry gentlemen, but your problem is the cowl vents. You have to repair/replace the panel that is underneath the hood-windshield panel. That panel under there has a raised pieplate that helps separate the rainwater from the vent system. Once that rusts away, you get wet feet when it rains. You'll need to either cover your vent panel with one of those cheezy afermarket plastic covers or repair the problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Milo
AKA Cougrrcj

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HM, I don't think I like that guy anymore... :cry:

Cougrrcj :badass:

Robert :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hate to tell you this, but cougrrcj is right on the money. The cowl vents are rusted out. Common problem on these cars and on Mustangs. That's why they make those ugly vent covers. There is one thing you can try to not have to remove the cowl. Go from under the dash, remove the vent case and seal any crack or hole using caulking. This will alleviate the problem of the leak but not the problem of the rust. The only way to a permanent 'proper' cure is the removal of the cowl.

Bert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is also a repair kit from most cougar parts vendors that could help you patch things over until you can get it permanently repaired. The kit I saw was from Mustangs Unlimited, Cougar division.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
dont cut the grate, it has fasteners

i did this on my 67 stang. removed the hood and cowl and windshiel trim for easy access to kill the rust.
i then removed a must rust as best as i could with sand paper, wire brushes, hand held bead blaster and scotch brite, then use some rust converter that we use on off-shore platforms. ($100 / gal.)
then used X-o-Rust red primer, ( it takes days for the primer to dry but when it does, it is some bad ass stuff) then i fiberglassed over the wholes sealed the cracks with strips of body putty, spayed it the correct color and then buttoned it all back together.
I suppose you could "lead" it too, but i only know one guy who can lead fill a car good and he is 86 years old. it is a lost art.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmm,. sounds like a plan. id use Rust Mort ( $15 ) then some Rustoleum primer ( $7 a quart, Plenty for this job ) then let the Rustoleum dry for a week or so then paint it. not biggie there. by thw way, i plan to learn how to lead in the summer or maybe fall. ......... lost art yeah, but i have a teacher thats pretty good at it....

·
Registered
794 Posts
i plan to learn how to lead in the summer or maybe fall.
Sweet. Maybe you can grow another nut. With all of the solder I have inhaled at work over the years its a maricle my boy came out normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just chopped up a relativly rust free 70 stang ; ) to get the whole cowl so i can replace mine.(and the AC setup and front power discs) Word of warning ....check your floorpans !!!! If it has been leaking for a while then your floorpans are probably starting to rust also. The stang cowl has a tiny hole and the floors look great from outside but are almost rusted through from the inside out. Water gets in but doesn't get out and it takes a while for it to dry under your carpet.
If anyone needs some small rust free patches from a 70 stang let me know and i'll see if the sawzall hasn't gone through it.
Glen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Leaky Cowls

Being up here in New England, we just sort of accept rust as a part of the environment! My 67 had (has) the shower attachment when it rains as well. I purchased the "top hat" repair kit and proceeded to remove many pieces of underdash stuff to get to the vents. I followed the directions to a T and replaced all of the parts. I didn't have to wait long for a storm for a leak check. I swear it was worse! I soon after bought one of the plastic cover one of you mentioned. This worked a bit better. I had read several articles in Mustangs&Fords Mag. about replacing the cowls by removing the sheet metal. Very expensive. My solution was to purchase one of those 20 foot long canvas car garages for about $500. Beats the cost of building a real garage.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
X-O-Rust at true value stores

I have found that rustoleum is no good in the long run.
I have tried lost of different brands and found that x-o-rust from true value hardware store is very very good, it takes longer to dry but lasts a long time. I use it on new (and old) floor pans, then the undercaoating under the car and insulating pad & carpet inside. it is realy good and nice stuff. industrial grade.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cool,, ill have to give it a whirl and see how it works

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well just Damn. My car had one of those cheezy covers when I got it. I thought "This looks like Crap" and promptly threw it away. Well, the windshield on my wife's Astro sprung a leak last night, so I gave it the carport leaving the cat out in the rain for the first time. When I get in this morning to go to work I had Lake Michigan in my floorboards. The worse part of it was I was giving her crap about poor GM build quality and what not and how my car was 34 years old and didn't have these problems. Well, I guess I have to fix the cowl now. Is this expensive? don't have any experience with welding and I assume the Cowl is welded on too, so how would I go about removing it. Or am I better off sucking it up and paying for this one. I just got a second job so I could finish this car up right. Looks like I know where the first money is going to be spent.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
To fix it right:
Remove the hood
Remove the fenders
remove the cowl cover
(Not sure if you have to remove the windshield)
Remove about 120 spot welds
Now look down and see what has to be repaired/repaced
Probably start taking more sheet metal off to get to the rot
:(
Are you sure that it is not the windshield seal that's leaking? That's what it was on mine (thank God) :)
To check, pour a bucket of water into the cowl and see where it comes out. If it comes out inside the car you have a cowl problem.
Most Mustang/Cougar vendors sell a cowl repair kit. While not right, it is easier....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts