Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Im Rob, and this is my 1971 Cougar XR7. I got it about 3 weeks ago and its an all original car.

I have been reading this board for a while now and i think this is something i can do. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so i hope i can pick your brains for some how to's in the future.

Trim 6a
Axel 6
Trans u
DSO 15
COL V
Body 65f

My first of a million questions is, Do these numbers tell me what my axle ratio is? Do I have an fmx or c6?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rob. Here is a breakdown of the codes: Trim:6A-XR-7 Black leather bucket seats, Axle:6-3.00:1 ratio, Trans:U-C6, DSO:15-New York. Color:V-Light Pewter Metallic & Body:65F-Hardtop XR-7 with Bucket seats. John

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I like the way it looks, The color is really good for that body style. Nice find!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Clean looking cat....welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Welcome! Where in the great white north are you? Since the DSO is NY, are you up here in the Northeast?
Are You saying the great white north is south of me? I gotta get a better job!

I chose not to ask that question. Don't know why.

Isn't that Yeloxr7's job?

Jean :thinkuh:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Welcome!!!:wave:

I had one just like yours.
Except it wasn't an XR7 and it was lime green, but it was a 71.:D
I like that body style.:cool:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Looks clean and I love the color ! What Engine code is it !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum Rob. Here is a breakdown of the codes: Trim:6A-XR-7 Black leather bucket seats, Axle:6-3.00:1 ratio, Trans:U-C6, DSO:15-New York. Color:V-Light Pewter Metallic & Body:65F-Hardtop XR-7 with Bucket seats. John

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a light pewter metallic Cougar.
I likes it!

Welcome!
I like the way it looks, The color is really good for that body style. Nice find!
Welcome!!!:wave:

I had one just like yours.
Except it wasn't an XR7 and it was lime green, but it was a 71.:D
I like that body style.:cool:

Im not big on the color. Im thinkin of going with a dark metallic green and half vinyl top.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hi everyone! Im Rob, and this is my 1971 Cougar XR7. I got it about 3 weeks ago and its an all original car.

I have been reading this board for a while now and i think this is something i can do. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so i hope i can pick your brains for some how to's in the future.

Trim 6a
Axel 6
Trans u
DSO 15
COL V
Body 65f

My first of a million questions is, Do these numbers tell me what my axle ratio is? Do I have an fmx or c6?

Rob,

That is a sweet car..and color! Do yourself a favor and don't be in a big hurry to "change" anything. You can spend a lot of time givinig her love with simple elbow grease and microfiber cloths and chrome/trim polish and wax..and see how you feel about the color over time. I think there is a lot to be said for originality when it comes to a classic car. And you'll save yourself a LOT of time and $ if you stick with what works, beleive me ;) And you only get to say it's an "original car" in the current state..If you have aspirations to EVER sell it(or are forced to come to that decision) someday, it is very likely that a collector or buyer is going to wish it was still in the color pattern of it's VIN..not to mention that there are so few ORINAL unmolested cars around that look so good. That is a HUGE part of what makes this car so cool. I'd say the same thing if it was puke green, white, black, mustard or Orange..believe me, with time you'll fall more in love with the car. Age does stuff to ya ;)

The problem with opening up the "change color" can of worms is that the next thing you know, you're into it for a whole complete restoration. All of the bright work and handles and light fixtures will all look old and tired next to that new paint, and you don't want to try to source out and buy (or rechrome or repolish) all that stuff..especially in a '71!

Just food for thought. That is a beautiful car with beautiful (but very little) patina. Enjoy and welcome to the madness!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey! Look who they let come in from the shout window! (LOL). Welcome Rob. Looks like a nice car you got there.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
QUOTE=RUNnWYLD;447655]Im not big on the color. Im thinkin of going with a dark metallic green and half vinyl top.[/QUOTE]

089 002.jpg 091 001.jpg 092 003.jpg

I used to feel the same way about pewter, usually by the mid to late 70's the color was fadded and dull. When I bought my 73 it had been painted a mid 80's taupe color - so when It came time to repaint the car I had my reservations. but I decided to go with the original color - I have never reqreted it. With a fresh bash clear the color has really held up. It also has a bit of a camelian effect - the color will pick-up gold or red, or even green tones depending on lighting and surrondings. I really feel the color is as contempory today as it was in the day.

Just an FYI - 71-3 cars that received the 3/4 vinyl top had an additional brace that went under the top trim.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought this car because it was my Dads first car and i practically grew up in the back seat. Never really saw much of the outside as i was just a little guy back then, unless i sat up on the hump!! Man, the memories this car brings back. This Cat is more than a just a car to me. Its my childhood. Dads car was a victim of a hit and run on Christmas morning way back in 78. Ive missed it ever since. His car was dark metallic green with a half vinyl top. I think painting my car green is my only option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE=RUNnWYLD;447655]Im not big on the color. Im thinkin of going with a dark metallic green and half vinyl top.

View attachment 23176 View attachment 23177 View attachment 23178

I used to feel the same way about pewter, usually by the mid to late 70's the color was fadded and dull. When I bought my 73 it had been painted a mid 80's taupe color - so when It came time to repaint the car I had my reservations. but I decided to go with the original color - I have never reqreted it. With a fresh bash clear the color has really held up. It also has a bit of a camelian effect - the color will pick-up gold or red, or even green tones depending on lighting and surrondings. I really feel the color is as contempory today as it was in the day.

Just an FYI - 71-3 cars that received the 3/4 vinyl top had an additional brace that went under the top trim.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is this brace? Are you talking about the trim i will need when i cut the back part of the vinyl?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I bought this car because it was my Dads first car and i practically grew up in the back seat. Never really saw much of the outside as i was just a little guy back then, unless i sat up on the hump!! Man, the memories this car brings back. This Cat is more than a just a car to me. Its my childhood. Dads car was a victim of a hit and run on Christmas morning way back in 78. Ive missed it ever since. His car was dark metallic green with a half vinyl top. I think painting my car green is my only option.
That puts a whole new spin on it... I love pewter but agree you must go dark green!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
And the third option would be to take Mmeat's advice and really spif it the way it is and BUY ANOTHER ONE that is dark green!

C'mon, you need another!

I was around 19 and there was this old garage/gas station off 52nd and Colorado Blvd that sold 100 octane fuel...the guy had a 71 dark green cougar, no vinyl roof and a hood scoop that said 429. The car was perfect in my eye except for a bumper sticker taped inside on the back window that read "I'd rather push my mercury than ride in your chevy". I never got the opportunity to meet him but I bet he was alright.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts