Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my first 'official' show today, where Stephen and I actually registered Ruby and the 72. The day started off on a bit of a sour note, first off, I had 2 hours sleep, I need more than that, second off we had to set Ruby's carb in, so that involved taking her for a test drive after each adjustment, 4 quick drives up and down the road and the cops were on my tail, [did I mention a little while back that noise was not an issue here....!] two guys from up the road actually got into their cars and drove to the cop station to report me, I was not in the mood for it explained that I had to be at a show in 1/2 hour and shat the cop out, asked him if he had never set a carb in his life, his answer was "No, I has fuel injection", to which I just looked at him, anyway I got a thinly veiled warning that if I raced up the road again I would be arrested and would then have to miss the show in any case. Then as we got to the show they were filming the cars and I was the first one to drive in at that time, so I got full camera view, something most people are to scared to even attempt, round the corner, another camera, in total 5 camera's, then while I was wiping down the 72 I got another camera shoved in my face with the comment "so tell me about the mercury cougar". I was bending down, hair all over the place and perspiring much better, not my finest hour, Stephen had gone home with my son to sort out the little ones.
We parked in the middle of our row, with space on each side, within 10 minutes we were surrounded by camaro's, the one next to me had a nitrous oxide set-up, the one next to Stephen had the filthiest engine I have ever seen. [which was good from our point of view] Opinions on the cougars were divided, about half preferred the 72, the rest mine, not too many comments on my engine colour, I kept the bonnet only about 10 inches open so everyone who wanted to look at it had to peer in the gap. The judges were impressed with the interior of the 72, mine looked like a dog's breakfast, I watched them judge Stephen's one and then conveniently dissappeared when they open the hood of mine. Coolest part of the show was when all the muscle cars revved up at the same time, they wanted the field to vibrate and I think it did, with my carb running too rich I had quite a mean beat going and totally drowned out the camaro's on my side. No-one came to tell me how to do anything with my car, which was a pleasant surprise, in fact I had quite a lot of guys telling me about their experiences with cougars, one guy has the trim for the 72 taillights and cougar badges at home, he bought them just cos he likes Fords, and he has given me his card in case we ever need them, the father of the guy next to me [with the NOS camaro] used to own a 72 with a vinyl roof, another guy told me about an XR7 that was in a scrapyard in another town, the original owner of the 72 was there and spent most of the day bringing people to come look at his old car, he had a friend with him who comes from Florida and it was nice chatting to an American, in real life, he says there are lots of cougars in Florida and they are really gaining in popularity. I met 5 other lady V8 owners, Stephen spent alot of time dodging people he did not want to talk to, totally opposite to me. My 3 year old was there for 1/2 an hour and then I had to bribe my 19 year old and his girlfriend to take him home and babysit, they are going to ban us from shows if we take him to another one. I bought a tiny little green 68 cougar, matchbox size, very cute. 4 guys came to tell me about it so I had to go get it.
All in all a pleasant day...................I am now past being tired.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I glad to hear you had a good time(after all the agravation to get there). Hope you took pictures..

Bruce

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. It's a catchy bug. I don't care so much for the "judged" shows, I like the ones where the participants vote and the spectators vote.
Now that Ruby's been in one you're gonna have to take her to all of them you know! ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thats great Dayle, i hope to be attending a show or cruise night eventually but it's starting to look rather bleek. I cannot get ahold of the guy who told me about the 67...he's probably busy i am sure:( I still am having Dennis go look at the 73 for me Just in case...but i dunno.
Anyway i am glad you had a mostly good day.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno about attending any more shows in the near future, both cars need some work on them and the scary thing is that I remember shopping for my Dad's Brirthday on Sunday morning, I do not remember posting the Happy Easter message, or anything else for that matter till I woke up in hospital on Monday morning, with skyhigh blood pressure. So I have now been banned from freaking out over cars again.........:(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ouch! :( I was wondering where you were the last couple of days. Thought maybe you were "on Holiday". Sorry to hear that you're not feeling quite up to par.
Just relax, take it easy and laugh along with us on the totally stress free MercuryCougar.net!
:p:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hope your feeling better now.... One thing I've learned is shows can be a ball if you don't take yourself or the car to seriously.. I know we spend a lot of time and energy getting ready for a show but once your there and the car is done after the morning detailing ritual... it's time to kick back and have some fun... I'm usually the only cougar (and I rarely place) there and I get some questions and the "I used to have one of these" stories. all in all, it can be a very rewarding time. Nats was the absolute best 'cause of all there cats there and the chance to talk to fellow cougarnutz....

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know, I was not expecting them to actually do any judging, only found out about that at the show, I just wanted Ruby to sound really mean and scare the pants off any camaro's, and of course was hoping to meet the dreaded GTO again, which by the way I found out, is a 70 'Judge' GTO, it's picture was in a magazine article, 454 motor, he was not at the show. Took his cap just in case. Anyway going to take it easy next couple of days, S's birthday tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hope your feeling better. Relax for a couple of days....

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stephen has decided I need a break so we are going away for the weekend, in the 72, so now I only have to worry about my kids being okay [3 oldest] my Dad being okay with the kids, its almost month end, whether the animals will get fed properly, will my Dad get fed properly, will the 72 make it, etc etc :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts