Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 68 X code car that was on eBay a few weeks ago. His buy-it-now was $14k and it went as high as $10,099 but never made his reserve. He sent me several videos of the car before he dropped the price to $9500 out of the blue. It looks and sounds pretty good. I suppose it could be classified as a light restomod since it looks mostly stock but has a set of 17" five-spoke wheels and some pretty dark window tint. The motor has also been upgraded to 390 GT specs and has a new 2 1/2" exhaust with Flowmasters. The interior was swapped for a complete XR7 interior. Kind of an odd color combination of a medium blue exterior and light teal interior. Would probably look better with a teal exterior but the paint is too nice to mess with for now. Came with a set of factory GT wheels and a complete front disc setup that has to be installed. I tried but I couldn't resist, especially when he dropped the price. Should make for an awesome summer driver and would be a good candidate for a Coyote 5.0L swap down the road...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why anyone would send a video like this to the person they were trying to sell something to but it is entertaining. I think the car could use a traction lok. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVv4FyhrVM

·
Registered
113 Posts
Heh, I have left a few of those non posi black marks in front of our shop this week. Maybe I will get one of the guys to record one for the fun of it. That video makes me want to head home and smoke some more tread off my $60.00 pep boy special tires!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Congratulations on the new Cat! Hope you have fun with her...looks like you should be able to! :burnout:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I needed something to quench my muscle car thirst while I am waiting to get my 70 Q code Mach 1 back from the paint shop. I have always liked the 67-68 Cougars and always wanted a 390 car. I would have preferred a four-speed car but I think this will do nicely. Once the Mach 1 is done I am thinking very seriously about doing a V-8 Interceptor style suspension change on this Cougar but I would use a Ford Racing 5.0L Coyote crate motor and a Tremec 6-speed instead of the Boss 9. I think that would make for a very affordable and efficient ride with awesome style.

·
11,000 Posts
LOL @ 1 wheel drive burnout in the middle of the trailer park.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you think that was funny you should have seen the walk-around videos he sent me. I will refrain from letting you see those to protect the guilty. Actually, he did a pretty good job but they would have been better without the commentary. LOL.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
dumb question, why ditch the 390? it is a great engine

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually that is a good question. I might not but I really like what Ford has done with the Coyote engine in the new Mustangs. I just don't want to spend what they want for a new Mustang and this Cougar would make a nice home for one. I think it looks better than the new Mustangs too. You can already buy crate motors and wiring harnesses to install them in older cars. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Cougars are ever going to be worth what a similar Mustang is and modifying one is not that big of a deal unless it is a 427 or 428 car. Heck, in most cases a well done resto-modded Cougar might even be worth more than a completely stock one. Just my opinion. In any case it would be a few years before I would have time to do anything with this car (lots of other projects) so I will have plenty of time to decide. In the meantime I plan to enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
your 68 390 is worth more than my restomodded 69std with a efi 347

·
Registered
191 Posts
One wheel drive burnout in the trailer park. :burnout:Thats a good one Royce. Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy your car.
Steven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts