Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finally getting my first car (I am only 16), and it is a 68 Cougar. It has a 302, brand new double barrel carb., interior is nice, dash is clean, it's an automatic, has a little bit of rust near the back window, needs new weather stripping, but thats about it. It is gold, with tan interior, and my firend is selling it to me for only $1100. Any advice you guys can give me for just starting off?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Welcome

One of the best things you can do is to join your local Cougar Club. They have many members who are willing to help and who have lots of experience in working with Cougars.

You can also invest in a couple of books - the Shop Manual, Facts and Features Manual, Wiring and Vacuum Diagram Manual - and pick up the catalogues from reputable Cougar vendors

The Cougar Club of America site's links page is a good place to start

http://www.cougarclub.org/

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congratulations! My first car was a 70 cougar I Bought in 1977( I was 16). I ended up blowing the engine after a year and sold it for a 78 olds cutlass and in later years always missed that car. so a month ago I found a 1970 yellow XR7 like my friend had in high school and that I liked more than my old green one. This car was sitting about 1/2 mile from my house when I drove by and noticed it sitting in the driveway and was for sale. Well, it was a sign from above that this was meant for me. Moral of the story is good things happen for those who wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Props to you, corytrade. I'm 19, my first regular driver was a 68 cougar, and it was a great car. I now own a 67 XR-7 Cougar and am working on getting all the minor details taken care of right now. As for where to start, I've found that if you can finad any reliable performance shops around your area, they can give you much advice on what you can or need to do to get that cat purring. Also, most anyone who has experience with old Mustangs should be able to help you with any problems you come across. Getting a good shop manual from E-Bay or some auto catalogues wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
welcome,,,,Just make sure you have you wits about you.. check the floors the trunk and dont be afraid to get under the car and look around,, you might as well get used to being under it now cuz youll be spending alot of time down there getting it right...
Lance

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Welcome to the Cougar family and this wonderful forum!
My dad and I bought my '68 a month before my 15th birthday, and it was my primary driver through high school. Most everything I learned came piecemeal as I fixed stuff... your local NAPA (or equivalent -- NOT Pep Boys) desk guys often have some valuable experience. Go to the local drags and find some old Ford guys to make friends with.
And pay attention to the threads on this forum, there's a wealth of expertise here!
Good luck, and don't get discouraged! It seems like there's no aftermarket, until you realize most of the Mustang stuff works for you, too!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Aloha Cory,

Congratulations on you Cougar. Very cool at 16 - wish I could have done that.

Get the shop manuals, and through a local car club get to know some more experienced Ford people you can ask questions to as they arise. For reliability and piece of mind you need to do some checking of the brakes, front end and suspension. Hoses and belts may also play ugly tricks on you if they are older than they look.

There is very little on the car you can't diagnose and repair with a good deal of determination and little help from your friends. Don't get discouraged if you make some mistakes along the way. Experience comes from making mistakes. That is how the older guys got to know so much about their cars.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All your info is great, thanks a lot. I have a question though, we are unsure if it is a 67, or 68. Does anyone know of any notable differences between the two?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Also, the Cougar scripting is different (in my experience, anyway). The '67 has external block badges with Cougar inscribed, while the '68s have "Cougar" in chrome script. Does anyone know if this is really a '67/'68 difference, or if it's a model difference?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hello and welcome to the greatest Cougar site!! As for the 67-68 differences...there are also differences in the interior. The 67 has a three spoke wheel with a center horn button and the 68 has a two spoke wheel. Have a look in the photo gallery...the cougs are sorted by year. Also take a look at the data plate on the end of the door....the serial number should start with a 7 if it is a 67 and an 8 if it is a 68.

greggieatthebat, the script differences are real. The rear quarter emblems were unique to the 67. For the 68 model, they were replaced with the chrome script.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
bruter-thanks, I thought so, but I only have personal experience with two '68s and one '67, I didn't know if that was enough to make the conclusion! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts