Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I’ve been a member for about a couple of months and really enjoy all the information and comradery here. I wanted to share my story and some pictures of my first car at age 16, a 1967 Cougar. It was a base Cougar, dark blue, white interior, 289 2bl, C4 trans, non A/C car. The first 5 pictures are of the car shortly after I got it in 1977. Please pardon the quality of the pictures. Remember they are over 30 years old! The other pictures are of the car taken in 1981. Take notice of the vehicles in the background of one of the pictures. My Dad’s vehicles were a 1972 LTD and a 1978 Thunderbird. The truck was also a Ford, can’t remember the year. We were definitely a Ford family. I have been a Parts Manager for a local FLM dealer since 1980. I did a restomod around 1979, even though it wasn’t referred to as that back then. What do you think of the huge snorkel hood scoop, it was one of the big things in the 70’s and 80’s? LOL!!! Here is a list of some of the things I did to it if my memory serves me correctly:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Painted and dyed the interior in black.<o:p></o:p>
Had the seats and door trim panels redone in black diamond tuck
Stewart Warner gauges and Tach. mounted on steering column<o:p></o:p>
B&M Starshifter (does not show in the picture, added later)<o:p></o:p>
Custom steering wheel (can’t remember the brand)<o:p></o:p>
Jenson AM/FM Cassette sound system<o:p></o:p>
Swapped the rearend out with a 9 inch with 3.50 gears
Exterior paint was a Corvette Blue (can’t remember the exact color)<o:p></o:p>
Firestone Tires (I think they were referred to as 60’s and 70”s back then)<o:p></o:p>
American Racing Aluminum Slot Wheels<o:p></o:p>
Snorkel Hood Scoop (functional)<o:p></o:p>
Mr. Gasket Hood Pins<o:p></o:p>
Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Lifts with Monroe Air Shocks
<o:p></o:p>
It was a fun ride and got a lot of looks. I wish I never got rid of it. Sold it to a local person and discovered years later that he totaled the car in a wreck. I just recently picked up a couple of Cougars, a 1967 and a 1968. I’m taking the best parts from both cars and redoing the 1968 because it has the best body. Here is a link to some pictures of the 1968 project.
http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt241/jasmel1992/
It presently is at the body shop getting a total makeover. I am adding a TCI IFS to it as well. I always hated the old P/S setup on those old cougars and mustangs. The IFS is the same setup that Stacey David is doing on his show "Gearz" on the Speed Channel. I am also thinking about dropping a 4.6L engine and AOD trans. in my cougar as well. I’ve been getting a lot of ideas and information from all of you on the forum and will share my progress on the project along the way. Thanks everyone for letting me share my story.<o:p></o:p>

James Brinkley<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Love the pics and history. I love the slots, bigs & littles, scoop, everything. I know a lot of the 70's & 80's trends didn't always help performance (like jacked up ass ends and the inevitable wheel hop it caused) but I think it looked so intimidating! Maybe I'm nostalgic because the 1st muscle cars I remember seeing as a little kid were mostly 10-15 years old at that time and fixed up in that style and made big impressions.

Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys! You know the shocking thing is I bet I spent less than $5000 on the car after buying the car for $900.
James

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
P1000666.jpg My first one 1967, side pipes and jacked. Later added hood scoop and spoilers. But bought it this way for 1500 in 1984. My uncles car. Later I bought a 78 z28,and still have the z28 sitting in my garage,but sold the 67,and bought a 68 about 1998 for 3500 with no test drive,just a local ad,and told the guy to bring it to my house,ill take it,Im the 3rd owner.That guys gave this up for a honda electric car thing,I wonder who what was the better deal now for him(gas is high). P1000969(1).jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys for sharing your stories and pictures. It is great to see others that have a passion for these old Cougars!
James

·
Registered
173 Posts
i got mine when i was 15. just got it registered thrusday for the road. completely rebuild everything. still need body work and stuff. took it to the alignment shop today and discovered a crack in the shock tower. I JUST WANT TO DRIVE IT ALREADY!!!!!! haha gotta take a part the front drivers side and hire a welder. anyway. ive promiesed my self to never sell it cuz every single person i know who once owned a 60's muslce car regret ever selling it. especially when it got wrecked after. hoping to keep the promise. im just about 21 now. hope to be able to brag about it when im 50! nice car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts