Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to share with the other members my experience with Peter at http://www.mustangac.com/. I found his service off of another thread here http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?46988-Nasty-old-67-73-AC-evaporators-plenums-wanted&highlight=mustangac .

I completed the transaction through eBay, where a complete restoration of my heater/evaporator box was offered. My heater core was to be replaced and the evaporator tested and replaced if needed. All metal blasted, painted, fiberglass cracks repaired, including the infamous missing S-drain. Also included was the blower motor itself, blasting and painting of the squirrel cage. I purchased this for $275 and I shipped the above items out in three boxes in early September, 2010. Upon arrival at Peter's place in Florida, he stated that the fiberglass damage was significant and would require an additional $50, which I did pay.

Since that day, I have received no parts. I have made 4 requests to him via email to call me, to which he emails back various excuses and stories. Due to the nature of the project, I was willing to wait for the parts to be repaired which of course took me well past any Paypal filing deadline.

The bottom line here is I am out my $325, plus whatever it will cost to find suitable replacements. I would NOT recommend this guys service for any reason whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You and several others. A little inside info, I sent him a dozen boxes to restore and his health went south bad, he got them done but it took him awhile. He later called me for some resto parts and put together an order and then we never heard from him again. His ebay account is gone, his paid for order is still sitting here and I have had no contact with him in months. I know his medical issues were very serious so... Before we write him off as a flake lets think of what may of happened. Not trying to start a rumor or anything but when a very solid, dependable guy like him vanishes it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,

That was my initial thinking as well. I think the thing that irked me more was his refusal to call me and discuss the status. I did notice the eBay account has gone inactive. Ah well, I think I will be contacting you for a replacement setup here soon.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Add me to the list of those that are S.O.L. It's been well over 6 months since I shipped him my plenum and I haven't received anything back. Every time he bothers to respond to my email it's another excuse. First it was that Ebay orders come first, then he had M.S., hen his mother had bypass surgery, then his wife had to go to the emergency room and he didn't have money for her prescriptions. When he finallytold me he had the thing finished, he said he was having credit trouble with his shipping account, so I even offered to pay the shipping back to me for the plenum. He responded that he would box it up and get me a cost. After another week, when I didn't hear back, I emailed him again and he said he was waiting on heater cores!!! I ended up getting another plenum and rebuilding the thing myself, which I should have just done in the first place. I am out of my original plenum, the cost for the restoration, the cost of shipping, plus I sent him another evaporator since the one in my plenum was wrong about two months later. I even sent him a couple of extra vacuum motors and a new vacuum switch. I wonder if some of us can get together and have the county sheriff in Florida roust this guy?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not having a dog in this Fight, I will second what Don said with the additional comment. Perhaps he has health issues, but that still does not excuse him from at the very least returning that which does not belong to him.
Suggestion #1: Is there any member her that lives close by? If so perhaps they can pay a visit to see what is up. Just a courtesy visit. If his health is such that he can not complete the jobs, then perhaps as a courtesy he would let that member "pick up" the Items that belong to others here. You get your items back(no return on money, probably spent, and cost of return shipping on you)
Suggestion #2: Any reciepts of money sent, e-mails(you did keep copies?) any other documents to back up your claims. Copies of these are gathered and in a group sent to the officers in his juristiction, hopefully they can produce results. This does presuppose that he just isn't doing the job's and has "taken" money and property. From the description of money/items he is in the small claims arena for recovery. Long shot on recovery.

I know that LIFE can happen and change your entire world. Things you planned to do/accomplish just do not happen. Inertia sets in.
I would hope that someone local can check on him to see what is up, and perhaps remind him of his obligations.
I wish you all good luck.
I will shut up now.
Lloyd Bledsoe

·
Registered
384 Posts
Add me to the list of those who had trouble with good old Pete. Mine is a happy ending in that I did get my parts after a longggggggggggggg pain in the A battle. He had more problems than a pregnant nun but I think the the thought of a "NJ visit" got him to ship my parts. I told him flat out that I would come down to get my parts. It was last winter so I could use a trip to FL to warm up. Sorry to hear so many of you guys have the same trouble.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just thought of something. The tax man might have moved Pete. When he was getting my parts together he offered me a $200 rebuild if I paid first (this was the start of my trouble with him) so he could pay his taxes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As another guy who was screwed by this guy I have an address for him in Titusville Fla. On Palimino Dr. He sent me a lower dash assembly for a '69 Mustang which was wrong, it was for a '70..This was supposed to be part of an order for one of his restored AC kits which he was selling on Ebay at the time (summer of 2010). Needless to say the rest never came. Now I'm out $600. After accusing him of running a scam, which he strongly denied, he started the long list of excuses. Illness,break ins,medication,etc. About 1 month ago he stopped replying to my emails. What I wouldn't give for his phone number and or address verification. Any updates you all may have would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try the authorities for help. However I might add that this all could very well be exactly what it seems, a SCAM no more no less..With Paypal a willing participant and partner..If you go past the deadline for filing a complaint which is easy given how good Peter is at stringing people along, Paypal tells you your out of luck and keeps the frozen money they have from his account. Nice deal! So I guess If being a thief is your thing you can rely on Paypal and Ebay for help..Just string along customers and take any money you get out of your accounts asap. Dopes like us will keep getting taken.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm sure the parts I sent him last year are long gone along with the $400+. I wouldn't be so pissed if he didn't waste my time stringing me along for months while I waited for him to send back my plenum. In addition to getting gypped on the money, I lost time listening to the hangnail and medication excuses, and ended up having to buy another plenum and rebuilding it myself. He should have just owned up to admitting he couldn't fulfill his obligations.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I did a "secret shopper" routine and emailed him about doing a box. Sure enough he was prompt about responding, multiple times. Last email said one to two weeks turnaround (based on what this thread says seems a bit optimistic), he did mention health problems but that he was teaching a friend the ropes. Conclusion is that front end communication is much better than the back end, can't say about the rest, but it sounds like he increased his exchange/outright stock at the expense of a number of a very unhappy customers.

I think a group legal action would be in order if you ask me. Sorry to hear of a vendor taking the community for a ride as it were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts