Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of vendors are using a photo from the Boss 302 site of my Eliminator to sell their 69 decal stripe kit. It makes it look like it is their product on my Eliminator which it is not. I've asked them to not use my Eliminator to sell their product. I don't believe copy writing all the images I have on the web and don't mind people using the images for referance or personal use. But when it's being used to sell product if they simplely asked or gave me a 10% discount all would be good with me. Just makes me a little PO. Especially the attiude when I asked them not to use the Eliminator picture. They act like they own the Eliminator.
This is in no way point towards Don @ WCCC which uses the same picture. Don asked for permission before putting it on WCCC catalog. I'm more then happy to let him use the photo.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sounds like you know the situation as far as the legal side of things.. Unfortunately there is no protection from people taking non-copyrighted images off the net and utilizing them. As the owner of the car you still do not have much in the way of rights to the image. You have to prove that it is your picture and request a cease and desist for them to stop using it.

What it all boils down to is whether or not the person is being a jerk about it. If you have written them already and they continue to use it you can actually forward that email to ebay and request they remove the add but they may require proof of ownership of the image. You can reference them to the BOS302 site perhaps that might help.

I am sure smarter legal people than myself will chime in but the bottom line isthat unless you copyright the image, engage a legal team to work with you to stop other people from using it, there jsut isn't much you can do to stop people from being jerks.

Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Brian,

Just report the items as using your picture and provide a link to where they got it from. Ebay will end the listings.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
While you are at it, make sure that Ebay isn't using your picture as one of their "reference pictures".

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One vendor has already removed the picture. The other one I just talked to the owner of the company and they are in the process of removing the picture. Ebay said they would investigate, but doubt if that went very far. Once both vendor realized I wasn't going away until they removed it. They were more willing to be nice and remove the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts