Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vancouver, WA Area: A couple years ago, I met a guy at the local Auto Parts store trying to buy parts for his 1969 Cougar. I waited until they told him they could not get anything for his car and then told him I had the parts he needed. After talking for a while he tells me he has a 70 Cougar that he 'Thinks' is an Eliminator and asks if I am interested in buying it.

Of Course I am interested!!!

I head out into the hills to find a 0F91M with 4-Speed(Wide-Ratio, from what I recall) that has been completely 'Pimped Out' in the 1970's with Crushed Velour and Wood Grain glued over what seems to be Camera Case Dash Panels. Car is a really old baby blue color and I found the Original Competition Green down in the quarter window areas and a few other spots. The Rear Spoiler, Hood Scoop and Front Spoiler laying on the ground behind the car for years. Total Project.

At the time, I was not sure if it was actually a True Eliminator, and he was adamant about keeping the #'s Matching motor to put in his 69 XR7 because it's Original 351W was getting tired. That really turned me off, because I wanted the motor to. At that point I would have had to just consider it a rolling shell, and was not to excited about that, knowing the Original Motor was still there. Not 'Long gone' like a lot of other cases out there. So I came home and contacted Dave Wyrwas about it to try and figure it out. We talked a bit and it came down to, "It has all the right stuff, but there is only one real way to find out, MARTI."

Finally, we decided we were going to go get this car and figure out the details later, so we went out there a couple weeks ago, and IT IS GONE!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry: Have not been able to contact him or find him.

DID ANYONE PICK-UP THIS CAR AND AT LEAST SAVE IT???????

Any new Comp. Green 70s in the Registry??

It would be nice to at least know someone saved it, I just hope he didn't pull the motor and scrap it. Andrew

·
Registered
142 Posts
For some reason you don't strike me as the type who would save a car with all those 'Valuable' Parts....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Did you stay in touch with the owner for the last couple of years? I'm still looking for one of my old cars. I have the guys name and contact info. But don't think he's interested in talking. No reply so far on my end..... LOL oh well.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Andrew,

Of the 66 Comp Green Eliminators presently in the registry, the most recent one was in November of 2010, but it was equipped with an M code and automatic. The most recent 4 speed was a "G" code in April of 2010. The most recent addition to the Registry of an Eliminator in Comp Green with a M code and 4 speed was November of 2006.

So, to answer your question, I don't know where it might have gone.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that info Dave. I guess anyone who would have known it to be an Eliminator must not have found it. Or does not currently know of your Registry.

The owner stayed in touch for quite a while, he called a couple times to find out if I was still interested, but unfortunately things kept me from getting the car. I called him a couple times to ask a few questions. now I can not find his phone number. I am pretty sure he didn't Craigslist it, but I will continue to search for it. I just hope the important parts of the car stayed together, for anyone who gets/got the car.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The car is rougher than a cob and has all but been parted out. He was going to deliver it to me in trade for some goodies for his other car but opted to put it on craigslist instead (see cougars for sale section to view that thread). No big loss, the car had fell in to one too many "boneheads" hands over the years, not much potential there. One can still get a pretty complete, solid small block eliminator project for under $15k. Those free and almost free cars sometime end up being the worst deals out there in the long run.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see it in 'Cougars for Sale' must have timed out? It doesn't surprise me you know the car. I think he might have mentioned WCCC when talking to him, it shouldn't take to long for a guy with 2 Cougars to find you. I am surprised you didn't pick it up though. Did you ever verify Eliminator status Don? The car was definitely rough, but I have seen much rougher, HeeHee. All the important stuff was there, but also rough since it had been laying all over the ground for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts