Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Seeing that fresh orange paint makes me want to start restoring my Eliminator. The plans are in their, but a couple of years before I start. Looks like you are doing a very original restore. I see you painted the bottom of the windshield frame at the cowl is orange. To be correct they were painted black all the way to the interior dash. I think sometime in 70 they switch to making that area body color. My was built in July 69 and is black. Picture of the driverside corner of my dash. We had a investigation sometime ago on this subject, so I guess that is why it caught my eye.

View attachment 24919

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Seeing that fresh orange paint makes me want to start restoring my Eliminator. The plans are in their, but a couple of years before I start. Looks like you are doing a very original restore. I see you painted the bottom of the windshield frame at the cowl is orange. To be correct they were painted black all the way to the interior dash. I think sometime in 70 they switch to making that area body color. My was built in July 69 and is black. Picture of the driverside corner of my dash. We had a investigation sometime ago on this subject, so I guess that is why it caught my eye.

View attachment 24919
Harry,

Excellent progress!!

Brian,
The cowl change is actually the other way around. My 2/4/69, Sport Special, still has its original body color cowl paint with inspection sticker remnants. All E-Cats have the blacked out cowl so the change happened sometime between 2/4/69 and 4/1/69.

·
Registered
735 Posts
BTW Dave, and excuse me for the mini-hijack, congradulations for the pic of your '70 Boss E cat in the latest (April) issue of Muscle Car magazine!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks for the correction Dave. I thought I had it right..lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, what is the correct conclusion, should mine not be orange along the top edge of the cowl. I believe that's how it was before we repainted it. But then that could have been done by some previous resto.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So, what is the correct conclusion, should mine not be orange along the top edge of the cowl. I believe that's how it was before we repainted it. But then that could have been done by some previous resto.
Harry,

Since your's is an Eliminator and therefore has a build date after April 1, 1969, your cowl should be black. You might want to review this thread;

1969 Eliminator Paint specific questions

And thanks, for the mention of the photo, I have not seen it yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Harry,

Since your's is an Eliminator and therefore has a build date after April 1, 1969, your cowl should be black. You might want to review this thread;

1969 Eliminator Paint specific questions

And thanks, for the mention of the photo, I have not seen it yet.
Dave, you have seen my E in person,two seniors and gold three best of shows built April 10 69, has painted cowl.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looking awesome! Nearing the finnish (yeah - we know....never really done)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Dave, you have seen my E in person,two seniors and gold three best of shows built April 10 69, has painted cowl.
Carlton,
Yours is an "early" Eliminator if I remember correctly, but my understanding is all Eliminators "should" have a black cowl. Remember with Ford there were very few absolutes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cowl is painted black. When he repainted the window channel, he also painted a narrow strip along the top edge of the cowl. Now that the cowl cover is back in place, this is irrelevant since you'll never see that edge. And I don't plan to take the cover off to show people how it's all painted underneath!!

We installed most of the chrome trim and other pieces yesterday; sure starting to look like a real car again!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car is all together ... finally. Looks real good.
Next step - get it started & running. That's the big test.
Then, off to the alignment shop for a final alignment;
next, to the window shop to get the rear window properly seated and the trim properly installed;
then back to the paint shop to get scuffs & marks touched up and completely re-buffed;
then ... get the E stripes applied;
and then it's off to the races!!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Excellent! Sounds like you will be showing up at a few shows this summer.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
You can register anytime. We've just added a link to our website for online registration using Paypal. You can also print and mail in the application with a payment. Go to www.cascadecougarclub.com and click events. Scroll down to Prowl and you'll find the link.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts