Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for over seven years and traveled half the country looking for the car I finally bought. Very happy with it mind you and it was just what I wanted. Today he was over and we were standing out in the barn. He kinda give me that When is it gonna be done look, then he says, "Ya know my good friend Joe has a 68 cougar sitting in his garage." Dad says this guy has had it for 15 or 20 years and has been talking about restoring it. Has never touched it though. OMG I know I don't have the money for another one but what if it was one of the rarer ones? Maybe a GT-E or maybe and XR7 G? I told my Dad to call the guy and see what he has. Told him I would be interested in looking at it. I really hope he follows through and gets with this guy. Not that I can afford another one of course but maybe someone out there would like it or something like that ya know.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Very cool cars have been bought that way many times over the years...."hey, I know a guy..."

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well going by the thread title, your Dad brought you into this world, maybe he reserves the right to take you out of it as well. It's a joke. Get it?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recon Bob. He has darn near whooped me to death a few times. Long time ago but he still wears the same belt! I do want to have him follow through and at least get me the vin so I can post it here and see what the car is. Maybe if the guy is interested I could convince my dad on a road trip and go see it and take some pictures.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well Harv - what's to lose? Oh, wait.....time, money,....never mind! ;>) Hope it turns out to be something worth "affording"!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is not to bad a shape even if I am not interested figure I could put it out there on the forum. I called my dad back last night and told him I was serious that I would like to know more about the car. Never know.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This sounds like a great story in the making, no matter how it turns out.

Next time you talk to your Dad, tell him that we all want to know about this car too! But no pressure... >.>

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it's a GTE 428 I call dibs. Dibs!!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
There were 37 GT-E's with the 428CJ also, 14 GT-E/Standards (all came with the C6) and 23 GT-E XR-7s (20 with the C6 and only 3 with the 4 speed). John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if this car turns out to be a stick it would be considered rare? He told me he would call up there and see what they had to say. I am really curious as I just haven't seen any other cougars around this area.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, you should have your dad also ask his friend for the rest of the codes besides the VIN from the door tag which would have the transmission code also. John

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well at least go and check it out!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my Dad got ahold of the people with the cougar. Guess it is in really nice shape. Real pretty red color. Only has about 1500 original miles on it. Guy is hanging on to it as he figures some day it will be worth a lot of money. No rust. He starts it occasionally and once or twice a year he pulls it out of the garage and cleans is up. Drives it around the neighborhood and then puts it away again. Every thing on the car is 100 percent original. Bad news is that it is a 1990! Arg! never mind. Those did look nice but not money nice and nothing I would want. Sorry for all the expectations. Harv

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If its an XR-7 with the supercharged engine (particularly with 5-speed) then it actually might be worth real $ someday. If its a standard 1990 V6 Cougar, probably not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts