Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys sorry it has been a long time but I have had a hard time getting on here while in Afganiland. I have posted this in another forum and have gotten pretty good replies. But I want your $.02 on it.
Ok I am thinking of converting my big cat to run on LPG. What do ya'll think?
Ok let her rip

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sounds fine to me!

·
Registered
255 Posts
My brother-in-law has been running LPG for years but he's in that business. Typically installed in pick-ups because the tanks take up so much space. Can't run down to the corner gas station to fill up either.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
over here ( belgium )
We all drive these muscle cars on lpg,gasoline is way to expensive !
And Lpg is a great replacement,my cougar drives great on it so go for it :)
I only have lpg,no fuel tank left in my cat.

Greets
Chuck,

Can you provide some detail and/or pictures of this setup? What do you use for a "carb" when running LPG? What does the tank in the trunk look like? Regulator? Fuel line to engine bay? You've got me curious and you could probably provide some valuable information to Slim!

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I thought that propane was only 70-80% as efficient as gasoline? Meaning mileage will fall off.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:evil:You do lose efficiency - but you will make Al Gore happy! Refill stations may or may not be convenient so be cautious on that. It's not a bad idea overall I suppose, if you want to live a cleaner/greener life. Pesonally I wouldn't like the inconveniences involved - to much of a DIY guy I suppose. Keep yourself safe Slim! Good to hear from ya!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Chuck,

Can you provide some detail and/or pictures of this setup? What do you use for a "carb" when running LPG? What does the tank in the trunk look like? Regulator? Fuel line to engine bay? You've got me curious and you could probably provide some valuable information to Slim!

Regards,

Bob
i'm not an expert in this , so here is what i do know

Its possible to drive all cars ( engines ) with lpg, only exceptions like drag cars which drive on special fuel.
The carburator is the same as on fuel, i have a 650edelbrock ( performer i think )but a 750 will do fine ( it just depends on your engine specs )
You dont have to worry about a thing, just connect the lpg lines and you can drive as you would on fuel

Over here , the Lpg installation must be installed by a professional and it has to be done officialy so you are in order with safety regulations.

The parts needed for a lpg installation are the following

Lpg reservoirs ( comes in a variety of sizes , 40 liters up to 200 liter = pickup )
Lpg Mixer ,the part that mixes the lpg with air
Lpg vaporizer ,to remove all the excessive lpg ( you will smell the lpg when there is to much lpg going to the engine ,then you also know that you need to "tune the lpg" )(if you smell it = to much going in )
Lpg main flow adjuster
The fuel line must be made from copper (thats the rule here )

here is link to look at the engine compartment
will take a better one this weekend and will also get a look at the technical aspect cause i cant remember the fuel line installation perfectly

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k639/CougarChuck/Foto-0142.jpg

on top of the carb is the vaporizer,
in front of the left fender is the lpg mixer ( the big round thing )
and in front of the mixer is the main flow adjustor

The disadvantages of lpg for me are :

You absolutely have 0000 space left in your engine compartment ( it looks messy that way )
The lpg tank takes a lot of place in your trunk ( will post a picture later) i have a 100liter tank.
You cannot get lpg in every gas station.
I you run out of lpg, you simply cannot go to a gas station and get lpg in a can.....so always watch your lpg meter
And over here it is forbidden due to safety regulations to park your car underground

Advantages ;
Its possible to drive a muscle car everyday because of the cheap prices !
and i dont need any more reason than that ! :)

(will take a look at the fuel lines this weekend )
Greets

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...The carburator is the same as on fuel, i have a 650edelbrock ( performer i think )but a 750 will do fine ( it just depends on your engine specs )
You dont have to worry about a thing, just connect the lpg lines and you can drive as you would on fuel...
Connect the line to the vaporizer, NOT the carb. I don't anything about this but still am sure about that! Guess the carb simply becomes the source of a butterfly to regulate the intake of propane gas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i just fart in the gas tank in my cars and it'll run for miles.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
My 69 convertible runs straight LPG using an IMPCO mixer on a Holley base. We have ample supplies of LPG so I don't need to run dual fuel set up. I also have an LPG set up on my IL6 Falcon ute

Here is the 90l tank in trunk

This is the IMPCO 425 mixer

Here is engine shot

You need to run a hot water supply to the convertor to ensure that the gas will vapourise before it gets to the mixer

If I was doing this again I would mount the convertor at the rear of the manifold and a flexible pressure line from the safety solenoid to the convertor

Dual fuel is a compromise as you need a dual plane manifold to get the best from petrol and a single plane manifold to get the best from LPG. LPG increases fuel consumption between 15 - 30% on LPG - depending on the tune

With dual fuel you have an option to use a "hat" type air cleaner with the vapourised gas inlet in the centre of the air cleaner. You need to be able to switch of petrol flow when you cut across to LPG

With straight LPG you can run a higher compression and more advance than with petrol. They like more air so the bigger the air cleaner element the better

This Holden uses a hat style air cleaner

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-HZ-V8-1-tonner-LPG-kit-/230659541406?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b461499e#ht_2445wt_921

This is the Impco 425 that you can use with a Holley base

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-IMPCO-425-Gas-Research-V8-LPG-Gas-FORD-HOLDEN-NEW-/170682838702?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bd7d6eae#ht_500wt_1156

Note - the Holley base has to have all butterflies opening together as the throttle is pressed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLLEY-D-P-THROTTLE-BODY-BASE-PLATE-GAS-CONVERSIONS-/260826166476?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba7374cc#ht_500wt_1156

·
Registered
202 Posts
Connect the line to the vaporizer, NOT the carb. I don't anything about this but still am sure about that! Guess the carb simply becomes the source of a butterfly to regulate the intake of propane gas.
yep right on,
did not say you had to connect the lines to the carburator,more like a figure of speech :)

Hope you are getting a bit wiser from the explanation i gave and leonbray gave

( How much is the price for lpg over there ? )

Greets!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Leaonbray the pics are an increadible amount of help. chuck thanks for explainig the system. I do have one question I have over looked and no one anywhere has mentioned. What the heck do I do for a fuel gauge??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just had a look at the lpg installation on my cat,

One copper fuel line goes from the tank towards the main flow adjuster,
From the flow adjuster one line goes to the mixer,
From the mixer there goes on line (flexible ) to the vaporizer
Also 2 "lines" from the heather must be connected on to the mixer ( install a T piece on your waterhoses from the heating and connect to the mixer )

Further the tank is connected on to the ignition switch (key )
So when you turn your key around the valve of the tank opens and sends gas toward the vaporizer
same thing when you turn your engine off the tank valve closes. ( safety )

Thats basically it. ( in simple words that is )

Greets

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You should have a safety switch in there somewhere that cuts off gas flow when the engine dies. Usually looks like a large relay with connections to the coil, ignition, ground and out to solenoid in the gas circuit

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
LPG is $0.60 per litre. Petrol is around $1.40 per litre

LPG used to be 1/3 the price of petrol but the government found another way of raising revenue (and they are about to add another 0.12 per litre as well)

My 302W uses around 20l / 100km

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
vas.jpg Here ya go Leon - your gonna need this:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts