Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...

I am new to the forums and had some questions

1..Can you guys tell me where I can find a aluminum rad. to fit my car? And if so how do I go about with replacing the tranny cooling lines?

2..What is the best way to find out what year a motor is...I am guessing 79' It has the front sump oil pan, stock serpintine belt, and a drivers side water pump inlet....it is a 302?

And another thing....do I have a 9 inch rear???

The car came with the 289 hi-po motor 4v. It has 3.00 open gears as far as I know.....I have so many questions but I will stop for now. Thanks

-Chet

I will try to post photos in the gallery

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ill try to answer....

Summit has some aluminum radiators for not TOO bad prices... personalyl if i was going HiPo with a car, id get a larger tranny cooler for the job.

i dont think a 79 engine has a serpentine setup yet. i might be wrong, but still....... and all early 289-351 Windsor engines had a front sump pan. i think if it was a fox chassis engine it would have a dual sump pan . i think the early cars had the passengers side inlet though... i might be wrong though. see if i can rememeber which one is the inlet though lol.

im pretty suer your car has the 8 inch rear end. i think only the big block cars got the 9 inch in the 67 / 8 models. the 69 and 70 ones had the 9 period. i had a 9 inch for sale, but thanks to lack of computer availablility, i wasnt really able to advertise it. but it still was sold he he. just have to pull it out from the car now lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man!!

How hard will it be to take the old tranny lines and run new ones for a seperate cooler?

also...My rad meaures like 21 by 17 or so...could I pull off stuffing a slightly bigger one in there?
All of the aluminum rads that I have seen are like 22 by 19 or so....or do you know a place...and if I got a alum. rad. what about a shroud?

sorry so many questions just really getting in to fixing my heat problem...it is a daily driver and I live in the south...if I sit too long my temp starts climbing.

My future plans by the way are a edelbrock performer rpm cam, AFR aluminum heads, noisy gear drive, air gap rpm manifold, and new exhaust....x-pipe, 2chamber flows w/dumps, hedman torque step headers.

-Chet

ps If anyone has info or ideas for me to look at please help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats easy enough...

Thanks for the info it helped a ton now I can find out in a few minuets.

Any help on my radiator situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

-Chet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts