·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks nice! Still running hot?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still runs hot after about a 20min. drive. She's old and tired. I really need to rebuild. When she gets hot the oil pressure drops to 20lb.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Couldnt watch the video bud but try a 160 thermostat and a fan shroud if you dont have one. Water wetter coolant additive is a God send too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Giving the engine a good flush helped mine a little along with new antifreeze, about a 50/50 mixture. As a side note, I'm looking to get those rims you have. Currently I have Eliminator rims. What size rims and tires do you have? I'm looking to get the same effect. THANKS

·
Registered
980 Posts
Was having the "hots" as well (would overheat in 10-15 minutes and run past center on the gauge... until, over the weekend when I finally started tracing down vacuum problems...and discovered that the vacuum advance on the "Retard" side was dead to the world...so it was running "advanced" ALL the time which would explain why it was overheating. I'd disconnect the vacuum hoses, set the timing, hook them back up and it'd run hot...was really P!ssin me off, tried everything I could think of, new thermostat, temp sensor, plug wires and plugs, disconnecting vacuum lines and on and on...next was actually doing the vacuum gage test on the advance module and VIOLA! SUCCESS!! Mine has the dual vacuum ports and it was about $45 at Advanced Auto...could you be having the same problem?? Just sayin....

<!-- BreadCrumbs are not required if we are coming through punchout --><!-- START ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->BWD Distributor Vacuum Advance Control <!-- Start LivePerson Impl --><!-- End LivePerson Impl -->
<!-- END ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jay,

I like the theory, but wouldn't running more advance make the engine run cooler? Looking for a reference on this but have not found anything thus far.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hey Bob -

According to the book, the vacuum "advance" speeds up the motor to cool it down when it gets hotter than normal...so, what I think happened is that it (overheating) was vacuum related in nature, and thus with the retard diaphram blown out, it always ran advance and I had the vacuum leak which lead to running hot. Whatda ya think...it seems to have cured it. Of course it hasn't been in the 90's for a couple of days here lately...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey, the proof is in the pudding Jay! If it is working better then it probably is! I did read the more advance more rpm cooler thing, but I thought I read somewhere that more advance made the engine temp cooler.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hey, the proof is in the pudding Jay! If it is working better then it probably is! I did read the more advance more rpm cooler thing, but I thought I read somewhere that more advance made the engine temp cooler.
It is going to heat up into the 80's again this weekend, I'll let you how it pans out...fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I have a 69 that is also experiencing overheating issues. I flushed the system at a cost of 70.00 swapped sensor at a cost of 9.00 and still no joy. I do have vac port on dist that is connected to carb. Graciously looking for assistance assistance

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Giving the engine a good flush helped mine a little along with new antifreeze, about a 50/50 mixture. As a side note, I'm looking to get those rims you have. Currently I have Eliminator rims. What size rims and tires do you have? I'm looking to get the same effect. THANKS
15x7 wheels p225/60r15tires

1 - 12 of 12 Posts