Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1970 cougar starts just fine, and runs good for about 15 seconds and then suddenly dies.

Anyone know whats wrong? Or experience something similar?

thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my car used to do this.... check out the coil.. that might be it. thats what it was in my case. does the car seem like it misfires before it dies?? if it does then check out your ignition points and well, might as well replace them. they are like $2. the fuel filter and all are always good places to look too. i mean, how often do they really get changed ya know?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You basically have either fuel or fire issue.

Run it until it dies- Have someone else turn engine over with key while you hold spark plug wire about 1/4" from contact with plug. If there is spark it's probibly a fuel issue. If no spark, then distributer cap, points, coil are suspects.

The obvious above is to put trans in park or neutral with emergency brake set for safety.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you keep it running if you feather the throttle?? If so...it might be choke problem...or better yet lack of any choke if your in a colder climate. That was my problem till the engine warmed up.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
are you running a mechanical or electric fuel pump? probably mechanical check there as well a smal hole can cause a vacuum lock when things start to get warm. happened to me once took me forever to figure it was the problem.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My 67 does that all the time... I know it's a choke issue..... once the cat warms up it's fine... how does yours do after it warms up? assuming that you can get it to warm up.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts