Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!! :D

Okay i have been reading some old and new posts regarding Cat security.... to be honest it has got me a little scared i mean... i love my Cougar if someone took it...... i don't know what i would do!! She is the only material possesion i really care about, well and my wedding ring but i never take it off!! Anyway i got a little carried away there... sorry!! :p: Well where is the best place for the starter solenoid?? Mine is in the standard position.... hot wire city!! Also what about bonnet locks OOOPS i mean hood locks!! :p: I am thinking about installing a kill switch somewhere... Where is the best place and what's the best thing for it to kill??? Oh also not a security question but what is the deal with the coil??? Should it be horizontal, vertical, away from the engine?? Mine is sitting right on top of the intake manifold!! Which gets a mighty hot!! Not good!! Your opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Stu :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stu, there's only so much you can do. If a thief REALLY wants your car, they'll get it. So just worry about your casual thief.

- Anything you can do to slow down the theft will be in your favor. First, don't leave anything in plain sight.

- You can get a Club or the like, an alarm, or LoJack

- You can get a REMOVABLE steering wheel from Grant if you want that.

- If you have an automatic tranny, you can get a T-Lock from my pal Hal to lock the transmission.

- You can install a kill switch (under the dash somewhere, I'd suggest) which disconnects the ignition to the oil.

- You can TAKE the coil wire or rotor with you!

- I have a wonderful Security Battery that keeps the car from starting, but it was discontinued (too hard to program).

Re: coil position. The coil position varied by engine type and options. On top of the intake manifold was one proper location.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have a friend with a 67 and he got a piece of cable that is fairly heavy duty (a bicycle locking cable is perfect) and he wraps it through the hood latch mech on the hood straight down through the bracing and secures it with a lock. I think you can get a bicycle cable with a numbered lock on it already. Its very low tech, doesn't hurt the originality (when he goes to shows he takes it out completely otherwise its always on!) and the main thing I like is you DONT HAVE TO DRILL ANY HOLES ANYWHERE!!
Whatever works right!!
Scott

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
MAke a coil wire out of vacuum hose with a couple of old boots on it. If they do get it to crank it won't fire. (An old practical joke from highschool).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts