Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear-ended yesterday by some dumb kid in a POS car and need to find a top-quality body shop in the San Francisco Bay Area. My car was near show quality before yesterday, and damned if it ain't gonna be again.

The worst damage is to the rear bumper and driver's side rear quarter panel. There's no question that most, if not all of the car will need repainting.

Jennifer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jennifer, Sorry to here about your accident. It has been a while since I worked in San Francisco. (5 years). But when I worked ther for CSAA. Dons Bodyshop Always had a good reputation for quality work. If there is an insurance company involved and you are not comfortible with what they are telling you, send me an e-mail. Insurance adjusters dread claims with classic cars. I'll help if I can. My personal favorite shop was A-1 on El Camino Real. I don't remember exactly with town it was in. Daly City- South City-Milbrea area.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jennifer,

Not only do insurance companies dread classic car claims, but many auto body shops prefer to avoid the work. The prevailing opinion is an older car will tend to stay in their shop for longer than a newer car, taking up space. There are legitimate reasons for this, primarily parts availability.

If you don't mind going as far as the South Bay, I've been impressed with Royal Auto Body on Wolfe Rd. in Sunnyvale.

Steve C.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the car is driveable, I really don't mind taking it to the right shop. I'm a little concerned about taking it to the shop the insurance company recommended because if they give me estimate X, and another shop gives me estimate Y (higher than X), I'm afraid the insurance company is going to make me go with the less expensive one (though ultimately, it's not MY insurance paying for it, since the other guy's at fault).

Funny thing - I'd always thought I was in favor of "no fault" insurance. Screw that! I want this guy to pay for what he did to my cat!

·
Registered
488 Posts
try the mustang ranch in santa clara. they do cougars and have access to parts. the work they do is beautiful and i can vouch first hand. hawrod

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know your pain my '96 spent 3 months in the shop last year, due to a 82 Nissan Pick-up an a debate between his insurance and me/bodyshop. I know the guy an the bodyshop so he gave it to me striaght said is was close but wondered if the INS adjuster even looked at my car, BodyShop: $4700, Ins Adjuster: $9000+. Anyway I had my INS look at an they said if the bodyshop can fix it here's a check.

I've had a few minor problems since then but considering I basiclly have an whole new rear end(bumber, passenger quarter, trunk lid, and had to reshape the trunk floor). Looking at it cant tell looks mint, unless ya crawl under the rear then ya see an a undercoating an framerail work, an the trunk carpet is not as flat as it was.

Can just imainge how long yours will be in the shop cause, on mine could at least call Ford on the quarter panel, and have make a new one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
68 KAT had an accident last summer and the work I had done was fabulous. However, since you aren't likely to drive it to MN I doubt you'll take my advice and go to Fairway Collision :)

They did tell me that they will NEVER fix a classic car again.

70XR7ConvertCat was right on the mark with body shop attitudes. It did take a LOT longer...but thanks to Don Rush's yard 'o Cougars she looks great.

Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've already emailed Don Rush about parts. I will check out the place in Santa Clara.

My trick will be moving the license plate panel enough to get the gas cap open to fill up the (dented) tank. The impact jammed the panel at about 25-30 degrees, and it's stuck between the trunk body & bumper.

Preliminary estimate comes in around $5500.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Jennifer, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you get her fixed up okay, I would reccomend the guy who did our 72 but I doubt whether you are going to bring her to my side of the world.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jennifer,
If you happen to have had full coverage Ins. don't hesitate to use your Ins. You have a contract with your Ins and much more pull. The other Ins can do what they want within Dept of Insurance guidlines. In Calif the Dept of Ins is very hands on and very $$fine$$ happy with the Ins conpanies. Usually if you just mention the DOI in California, the Ins company will rollover just because of all the paperwork required. I am an Insurance adjuster and so is my wife. We both have and love our classics. I have 69 cat convertible. Both of the other adjusters in my office have classics also. My point is that there are Insurance adjusters that will appreciate what you own. But, in the end the Insurance company is the insurance company. You are going to have to trust someone, your Ins, their ins. or the shop. Your best bet is to meet and talk to people in the bodyshop. Your gut should tell you if they are going to look out for you or not. And if you don't trust your gut. Tell the shop you want to see their finished work.

P.S. any GOOD shop has a hotrod sitting around somewhere. check it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I can give the number to the mine out here, he restored his wifes Catllinia after being totaled by a dump truck, an it too looks mint; just its about 1 1/2 east of Atlanta.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Jennifer, sorry to hear the bad news. Best of Luck throughout this whole ordeal. Keep us all posted on how things are going. Something like this really hits close to home.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jennifer,
One other 'trick' some might not know about is something called 'diminished value'....as in the difference in value between a car that's NEVER been wrecked or bent, and one that has, and been repaired to a original appearance. If you had it appraised previously by a pro, merely have him reappraise it after the repair, and inform him of the repair details....and that's the diminished value; the difference between before and after.

After my 92 SHO was Tboned by someone, I was able to retrieve an additional $2500 from the liable insurance company after I informed them that 1) I was aware of diminished value, and 2) that I had documentation to back it up. After a letter threatening to take it to court, a check arrived like magic in the mail $$$!!!

Point is...is that while they might repair it right, you MIGHT not be done collecting ca$h!! If anyone else has experienced this, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks for sending the pic's Jennifer...and good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are supposed to do it no matter what, least in GA, but I didnt push it on my wreck last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jennifer,

I see a case of information overload coming on here. Be careful about bringing up dimunition of value before the car is fixed. If some one brings it up to me before the car is fixed I am going to total this car. DOV is an on going dispute between Ins companies and consumers. Most Ins companies will flat out deny it exsists. If your car was cherry before your loss and it is cherry after the loss where is the dov. In buds case it sounds like he had a professional appraiser value his car before and after the loss. If you have done this it will make your case easier to present. And Bowez is right Gorgia is the only state to have taken a stance on DOV. They say it exsists on all losses.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Jennifer,

Also, it might make you feel better that "technically" in California, the insurance company can't TELL you which shop to take your car to. They can suggest strongly *LOL*, but they can't force you to go anywhere you don't want to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
joshed said:
Jennifer,

I see a case of information overload coming on here. Be careful about bringing up dimunition of value before the car is fixed. If some one brings it up to me before the car is fixed I am going to total this car. DOV is an on going dispute between Ins companies and consumers. Most Ins companies will flat out deny it exsists. If your car was cherry before your loss and it is cherry after the loss where is the dov. In buds case it sounds like he had a professional appraiser value his car before and after the loss. If you have done this it will make your case easier to present. And Bowez is right Gorgia is the only state to have taken a stance on DOV. They say it exsists on all losses.

Being in 6 wrecks in my 4 years of driving (none my fault) I know GA law pretty well.lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
At least your year is more common

Take it to a body shop that restores classic cars. I had my 72 painted twice and got my bumpers rechromed, took a year the first time and then when my husband ditched it, another year and a half at another body shop. It's an odd ball year.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
That really sucks about your car. Hope it all works out for you. Look at the bright side, there is probably more damage to the other car anyway. They don't make cars like they used to!! I'll take an old car over any new car any day!!!! Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts