Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the last Muscle Car I baught (1965 Galaxie 500 390 4v, schweeeeet) the previous owner of my 70 xr7 did almost the same things.

1. he pulled off the fan shroud and installed a flex fan.
And an electric fan. No. No. No. In my opinion, if you pull the shroud, you might as well get rid of the fan too because it aint gonna do much without a shroud.

2. I am not sure if i have the original carb on it, but the spacer is gone and the vacuume advance line is hooked up to static vacuume port. no good. needs to a port below the butterflies.

3. Installed headers, thats okay. But he installed glass pax right after the headers then nothing. Loud and not enough back pressure for street driving.

4. blue fuzzy seat covers. its like sitting on a muppet.

5. lakewood Traction bars. ok. but not for me.

6. Good. he swithed to a pointless ignition. (Allison Elect.)

7. yanked the a/c compressor.

8. jacked with the wiring for the switches in the center of the dash.

I suppose this is typical.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We called these guys the header-crager-4-barrel gang in high school.

It's the mickey mouse kind of stuff that kids do who know nothing about mechanics, and hear about from other, equally moronic kids that know the same things about mechanics, nothing.

Sorry for having a strong opinion on this, it's just that at the age of 18, (I'm 35 now), you (think) you are sooo smart, but in reality you spend from 18 on out realizing how little you really know.

If you are around 18 years old and I have offended you, please print this out, seal it in an envelope, and label it "Open this in 2015". Until then, forgive my caustic, abrasive attitude.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
1. he pulled off the fan shroud and installed a flex fan.
And an electric fan. No. No. No. In my opinion, if you pull the shroud, you might as well get rid of the fan too because it aint gonna do much without a shroud

I have ran years with out a shroud. I do live in a cooler climite than you

2. I am not sure if i have the original carb on it, but the spacer is gone and the vacuume advance line is hooked up to static vacuume port. no good. needs to a port below the butterflies.

Defentaly not original, it would have been a Motorcraft 4300 "Toilet Bowl". Thats a Holliy Vacume secondary. And the Vacume advance is hooked up corectly.

3. Installed headers, thats okay. But he installed glass pax right after the headers then nothing. Loud and not enough back pressure for street driving.

Been there, done that, will not be going back. I love the engine sounds just don't need the ringing in the ears after a drive. Full lingth with nice mufflers for me! Headers optional for street driver.

4. blue fuzzy seat covers. its like sitting on a muppet

Don't you meen a Smurf?

Sell them, Make some cash.

6. Good. he swithed to a pointless ignition. (Allison Elect.)

Is it any good? never seen one

7. yanked the a/c compressor.

Some want it, some don't.

8. jacked with the wiring for the switches in the center of the dash

If you want I have a couple extra switch sets with the wiring.

Have fun with this car, It can be so much fun driving a 351C 4v just remembet it will want the good gas. Neal.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
bowl said:

hmm....... how mcuh for those? if ya dont want the traction bars i dot really hav an issue with them he he. as far as the headers.. if you want to sell them they might find a home here as well. what color are the Lakewoods?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the headers, not the cherry bombs

i am 37, so i have seen a lot of this when i was in high shcool.

vac advance for the distributer must go just below the butterflies of the carb.

the rdiator fan needs a duct to pull air effectivelly, as there is less resistance to pull air from around the radiator then through it without one. it gets hot in texas. also all water in the radiator will run cooler than water / antifreeze mixed.

The lakewoods are chrome, you can kind of see them in one of the pics i posted in the gallery. you may have them. i am just west of houston. the price. just shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
vac advance for the distributer must go just below the butterflies of the carb.

Both of the Holleys I have on my Cougars are ported in the same place as yours is. Some have ports lower on the base. Were the port is is not as importent as were in side the carb the vacume is ported from. I have a list 6291-1 on a 351C with 2v heads and a Weiand intake and a List 9834-1 on a 351W with preformer intake. both are 600CFM vacume secondarys. I also have a 650 double pumper for my 390. It has the same porting on it. But I do not have that one in use at this time.
I have seen Holleys with other porting for other applications and some have ports on the base plate. You should beable to make it run correctly using the port the way it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If there was so much you didn't like about the car car why did you buy it? Quit whining about what the previous owner did and start making things the way you want them. I'm sure there isn't anyone on this site who hasn't wondered why the previous owner did this or that to their car. My car had tons of wrong parts on it when I bought it but you just start replacing things and move on. That's what you bought the car for isn't it; to make it like you want it. Just my 2 cents.

Barry

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sweet. just let me know what the shipping is man. ill send the money. do you have Paypal by chance?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As long as it is manifold vacuum (18 inches or so) and not a static port it would work normally. my galaxie has a holly with both ports, the cougar has only one, i will test that port for vacuum.
thanks.

I baught the car because of its potential, not what some idiot did to it, of which i do not know thier age. stupid knows no age.
i have had the car for less than a week, so quit whinning about it.
you dont want to piss me off.

I own 8 fords and i am not done!

UPS ok for shipping?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lakewoods

these are rough and missing the bumpers.
i will take zero$ plus shipping. they need the steel wool big time.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
other side

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
distributor vacuum porting

Bowl,

Believe it or not, you do not want your distributor vacuum to be below the throttle plate. Think about it for a minute! :1poke:

That would be the same as manifold vacuum and that's the exact opposite of what you need for a vacuum advance distributor! The 'ported' vacuum that you want for the distributor is actually the venturi vacuum! The more flow through the carb as you open the throttle, the higher the venturi vacuum, which means more advance. At idle, there is almost no flow through the venturi so that's why there's no vacuum advance at idle.

At idle is when your intake has the most vacuum. As you open the throttle, the vacuum drops in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also all water in the radiator will run cooler than water / antifreeze mixed. " HUH????????

basic physics

it is an old know fact. ever race dirt track? we only ran about 12oz of antifreeze for lubrication of the water pump,

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
show me the shop manual.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Always mix water and antifreeze. Gives superior temperature protection as well as lubricating the cooling system and prventing rust. It tells you the mix on the back of any jug of coolant. It's a chemical mix between water and coolant. Water alone, or coolant alone will not protect as well as a mix.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i dunno ive heard that running straight water and a corrosion inhibitor is the best for high temp protection..... just put more pressure in the system. i run a 16lbs cap and maybe a 60 40 mix in the radiator of water/ coolant. as far as the Lakewoods sure UPS will kick ass. thats all i use when i Ebay. as far as ugliness, yeah they arent pretty, but ill just paint them semigloss black anyway. bumpers are cheap and easy to find

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Upon further investigation...
I pulled both hollies, the one on my 65 390 and the one on my 351c 4v. the 390 carb has the vac adv port low and in the front right and terminates just above the butterfies. The side port on the 351c carb functions the same, different in location. Some cars do run mainfold vac for adv. but none of mine do. And some use both.
for the crap of it i started the 390 and hooked up a spare vac diaphram to manifold vacuum and it sucked the guts right out of it.
So. You are correct sir. (about my car)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts