Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother found some material at a shop and used it to glue on to the original insert. I forgot what it was called. But it looks just like the original stuff. It feels a little different though.

Tad.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I really must post some pics of the dash in my clone. All I did was spray the XR7 inserts satin black. I am very happy with the results, although I do realise they aren't 100% accurate. There was no way I was ever going to be able to get original parts though. If you can remember the name of the material you used I would really appreciate the input. I would be more than happy to re-do the dash to get the exact effect.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
dark7068 said:
awesome, what did you use :D
yeah!
That looks killer! Please give us the play by play...
I have to do the same thing, my dash is toast also...
shane:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What we started with was removing to the old loose flaky camera case. Then drilled out the rivits on the back of the "COUGAR" emblem to remove it. After that we cut a mold of the insert in the material my brother found at the local arts and crafts store. My brother had some fabric glue from some fabric work he did a while back so we used that to adhere it to the original incert. That stuff holds real good. After that we put holes in the material to put the "COUGAR" emblem back in the used some stuff called "GOOP" from walmart to hold it down. I held it in place with some clamps while to glue dried.

I cant remember what the name of the material was but all he did was take a piece of the old camera case down to the store to match up the crackle looking effect the original had. The fabric glue we used was just a spray glue in a aresol can which can be found at the arts and crafts store too.

Tad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts