Mercury Cougar Owners banner

661 - 680 of 1469 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Finished up the driver door. It's pretty solid, no work to do.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
And hoping to get more done today!

Yesterday, found some more surprises.

Started working on stripping the replacement hood.

Found this on the front nose.

And this on the right front corner.

And this on the front edge.

Starting to work on the underside. Been sprayed with a nasty black coating at some point.

This body work was done very well, I couldn't tell it was there at all. Either way, this hood is still in far better shape the my original one, so I'll keep at it. I have some rust repair to do on this hood as well.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
47 years of poor brakes and with the long nose sticking out there it not surprising to see a few nicks hidden away ......

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
Got the hood done.

Got some repair work to do on the backside of the front.

next up is the replacement door. I will have stripped three doors in total. yay...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:toung:Maybe your calling was actually to be a "stripper" Brian! LOL.
you have it down to an art.....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #667 · (Edited)
And I am not done yet! I can't wait to be done with this stage.

Got the door done, hopefully this is the last one.

Next up are the two fenders. These are going to be fun. It's strange, but I have three left side fenders and only one right side. Wish I had another right side.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm still game for one of your left side rejects... I literally have half a fender on the 68 at the moment. LOL

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Once you have most of the parts for a complete body you start to see something grand as a finished product, at least I did. From the dregs to the heights, another Cougar rises!

·
Registered
759 Posts
You're welcome to them, just let me know.
Cool, we can work out a time to meet up soon. Your up just east of Seattle if I remember correctly? If you have any smaller parts (14"x14" max) you want powder coated ship them down to me. I can coat them and bring them up when I come up for the fender.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
Cool, we can work out a time to meet up soon. Your up just east of Seattle if I remember correctly? If you have any smaller parts (14"x14" max) you want powder coated ship them down to me. I can coat them and bring them up when I come up for the fender.
Sounds good, let me get some pictures of the spare fenders so you can see the condition. They are pretty good, I think one may have some front end work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Way to go Brian ... I enjoy cleaning and prepping parts. It just makes assembly easier.

Question ... not being a body guy, how do you plan to remove the crease on the front edge of the hood. In the past, I've had similar issues on "spare bits" and I thought I'd take out some frustration using a shrinking hammer and some body shaping tools ... but the multiple layers of welded sheet metal always won. Interested in seeing how you address it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
The crease may just be filler. I don't quite know if I can get much of it out. We'll see, I will be delving into the hood after fixing the door.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
Got the one fender cleaned up this weekend

Cleaned up the backside and removed the original undercoating material.

And started on the other one. This was one of the fenders that came on the car, so I did not have high hopes that it would be in good condition. Looking at the backside, it is obviously a 68 fender with the light hole covered. I was not disappointed.

First thing, the abrasive disc sunk right into the front of the fender. 1/4" + of filler.

Here is the backside of that same area and is where the light was covered. This whole area is sunk way in. I'll have to see if I can get it flushed out or maybe patch the whole section. Yuck.

Also had to remove spray foam from this fender. Otherwise, there is no rust on either of the fenders.

Here is the front of the fender with all coating removed.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
Now that all panels have been prepped, time to do some repair work. Of the items I have to work on, one door, one fender, and the trunk don't need any repair. One door, one fender, and the hood need repair work.

Decided to start with the door.

Here is the bad section removed from the upper front corner.

Here is the good section from the donor door. Would use this door, but the lower front section is completely rotted out.

Good section removed.

Fitting the replacement section on.

Got it fairly close before calling it quits. Definitely would have done it differently and cut out a large square section.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Go Brian!!

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Oooooopssswees!

661 - 680 of 1469 Posts