Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 1469 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, earlier this winter, the wife and I were looking for a new project. Was originally looking at an older 30's to 50's ford, but ended up seeing a cougar on craigslist. Went and looked at it and ended up purchasing a plain jane 67 cougar. Got it for a pretty good price. The previous owners had all receipts for recent work. Rebuilt 302 motor, new suspension, carpet and headliner (not installed), new tires, new flowmaster exhaust, and some other minor items.

Later I would learn there were some... hidden... items that all old cars have.

So... here it is on purchase back in December 2011.

Body looks great from 30 feet. There are some bubbles here and there and the hood seems to be completely shot, very wavy and such.

We bought the car in oregon when we were working there for nine months.

Here it is back home in the garage.

Interior was not that great, nothing in the dash works well. Seats are not very comfortable and not original.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Overall plan for the car is to strip down to frame, repair, rebuild/upgrade, and re-assemble. This is to be a restomod, not too concerned about originallity.

At purchase, there were some obvious repairs that would need to be made.

Hood hinge connections in aprons were shot.

Also, tops of both shock towers at aprons were damged.

Uh... is this a hole in the driver side floor board? Yes. Guess that windshield foot pump had a slight leak over the years... yeah.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, after getting the cat home and taking a look at the overall scope, I knew I need to make some upgrades to the shop first.

First was a sand blaster. Went with the barrel blaster and love it so far. Realized that the second upgrade was the compressor!

I went with a 3 cylinder Puma and installed it outside in a separate enclosure. So far, it has performed great.

I installed grilles in the front and back of the enclosure to allow air flow. I also had a 20 gallon compressor. Removed the engine and T-ed it off the supply line for the new compressor to allow for 80 gallons of holding capacity.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next came removal of the front end and panels. This went fairly well, bagging all nuts, bolts, and pieces with sandwhich bags and labeling.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it was removal of the lights and radiator. Didn't realize how many connections there are for those light assemblies and how heavy they are. :bloated:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next thing I moved on to was the interior and wiring. Joy.

I basically wasn't too nice to the interior when removing it, not much I wanted to save at all and not much was salvagable. The seats were about the only thing.

Lot of old dirt in there...

The wiring in the console was horrible and most didn't work. After spending 10 minutes trying to sort it out, I started gripp'in and ripp'in.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and removed the entire dash sub structure at this point as well. On the passenger side of the dash, there was some obvious damage and the center of the dash had been cut for some reason.

Previous damage...

At this point, I removed all loose parts, wiring, etc., and was basically left with the bare bones cat plus the suspension. All windows, window mechanisms, etc., were all out.

Time to assess.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The ISSUES...

So, during the dissassembly, I found a few items that will need to be addressed over the project.

Starting from front to back...

1. Front radiator support - Looks like this was hit at one point in the past. Needs to be replaced...

2. Both front left/right and rear left/right engine bay aprons would all need to be replaced. Where they were welded onto the shock tower, they have been horribly repaired in the past. The hood hinge connections were just about ripped out as well, aprons were all cracked. Also, battery tray area was shot as usual.

3. I knew the right shock tower has some cracks... I just didn't know the extent. Replace. Sigh...

Spot welds busted out.

Yeah, they welded a big plate the backside of the shock tower. Also, uncovered 4 inch long welds that were attempts to repair cracks.

Some pretty ugly welds.

4. Window post - Not sure what this is, not a crack all the way through, but strange... Took the paint off and there is a line through the metal.

5. Both driver and passenger floor pans need to be replaced.

6. Strut rod connections are shot and both need to be replaced. Too much bumping into curbs or something.

7. Both front frames rails are beat to crap and there are cracks/rust showing through. I just hope the main frames are okay.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Brian, in regards to the crack in the window post, I believe that is where the roof would seperate from the A pillars on both sides. Also, how hard was it to remove the entire dash sub structure? I'm thinking about removing mine so it can be painted seperately and then reinstall. I know that it's welded on the sides, but are there any other spot welds that you know of. Thanks. BTW, nice progress on the car. John

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I am bringing this thread up to date with where I am currently at. I have replaced most engine bay panels and some interior panels.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian, in regards to the crack in the window post, I believe that is where the roof would seperate from the A pillars on both sides. Also, how hard was it to remove the entire dash sub structure? I'm thinking about removing mine so it can be painted seperately and then reinstall. I know that it's welded on the sides, but are there any other spot welds that you know of. Thanks. BTW, nice progress on the car. John
Interesting. Wondering if I should weld this minor crack or not.

Regarding the dash, I cut mine out. If I was removing temporarily, it would be fairly easy to remove the spot welds at the window seam and unbolt at the bottom corners. Pretty easy compared to some other panels.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Issued - continued

8. One of the big issues I came across was the passenger door post. It became obvious that the car had been hit on that side sometime in the past. The door post is all banged up and this is what caused the damage to the dash structure.

You can see below that the way they fixed it was to shim out the door.

I got some measurements from another forum member and it seems that the door post is pushed in about 3/8". BFH and some bottle jacks are in my future.

:bloated:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Issued - continued

And now the serious issue...

10. Previous panel replacement. Yes, I found that a previous owner had replaced both lower sections of the rear quarter panels. Not good new because it looks like a hack job, although the current purplepeopleeater paint is about twenty years old, it held up okay.

I found this out because they did not butt weld the new panels in place, the overlapped them, spot welded and/or seam welded, and filled in the valley with bondo.

Take a look.

This is the left quarter panel from inside the trunk space.

There is a bubble/wavy line running along the length of the left rear quarter panel where it is filled in with bondo.

And the unfortunate part is that this is on both sides, although the right side is a lot smaller of a section.

I removed some paint with the drivers door and there it is, the weld. You can also see why the paint is starting to fail.

Some of their panel replacement was not done very well and I found some holes, althouth the rust doesn't look to extensive in these areas.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So now that I had the car all apart, it was time to order parts.

This is what I have ordered and received to date from WCCC:
All four engine bay panels (repros)
Passenger shock tower (original)
Driver and passenger floor pans.
Forward floor pan passenger.
Both strut rod brackets/braces.
Lower radiator structural support.
Engine bay reinforcing kit (top and bottom brack and shock tower reinforcing plates).
Both front and rear valance (SP?).
Both left/right frame rails (under front floor pans)

Received parts in late March, time to start choppin'!!

I decided to start at the front of the car and work towards the back.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Before I started tearing apart the engine bay, I first wanted to clean it up. Due to budget, I am not going to have the car sandblasted. $1,200 bucks will buy quite a few wire wheels!

Well... make that $1,135, my POS B&D drill went belly up.

But, after replacing, the front of the car started cleaning up nicely.

1 - 20 of 1469 Posts