Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!
I've been a member here since July, when I bought my 1970 XR7 convertible, but haven't introduced myself. I'm an American living in Stavanger, Norway for the past two years. I've been a car-guy for years, and currently also own a '68 GTO, '71 Javelin, and '74 Corvette back in Texas.

Last summer I was getting really restless not having a car to work on and enjoy, so I bought my Cougar here in Norway. It's a 1970 XR7 convertible, 351W, FMX, Competition Orange, with not many options, other than XR7 and Leather interior. It was sold new in New York, and I haven't learned how long it's been in Norway yet, but I suspect it's been quite a few years. I fixed a few odds and ends last summer, but mostly just drove it on nice days and enjoyed it, this is my first convertible and I love it. It did need a new top, so I had one shipped over in August and had it professionally installed in October, before I put the car away for the the winter.

This winter I have plans to fix a few more items, and install some upgrades. Last trip to Texas I brought back an Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Edelbrock water pump, MSD distributor and wires, cast aluminum valve covers, weatherstripping, and a few other bits. I started on the work today, draining the cooling system, and removing the accessories and water pump. I'll head over to the garage again on Monday (taking Christmas day off :) ) and start on the intake swap. There are also a few electrical gremlins, like the temp gauge and tachometer don't work, so I'll be troubleshooting those as well.

My plan is to keep it mostly stock, other than the intake and carb upgrades, and just cruise around and enjoy it. I'd love to bring it back to the US when I return, but it's worth a LOT more over here than it would be in the US. We'll see...would be nice to add it to the stable in Texas!

Can't seem to attach pictures just now, but I'll try again another time.
Later
Jeff

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Hi, welcome along. :beer:
There are a few Scandinavians on the board, so you aren't alone !
We also have representatives on the board from the Mercury club of Norway.

http://www.stordahl.com/e_mercclub.htm

I'm a Scotsman currently living in Norway.
I'm in Ås, just outside of Oslo.
I only just moved here, so I don't have my car here yet, hoping to get it over in 2012 if finances permit.

Actually, we're moving to Stavanger in late February /March, maybe I'll see you and your car there.

How is the American car scene in Stavanger?
We haven't gotten around to investigating that yet, my fiancee has just got her new job so we're looking for a house first !

Things are pretty good here, we have meets every Tuesday and get 50+ cars at the first meet of the month.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!

The AMCAR scene in Stavanger seems to be OK, but not as big as some other areas I think. I've heard Halden has a good AMCAR scene, seems to be popular up north as well. I think they have weekly meetings at the clubhouse, but they only cruise once a month. I've only done one cruise, 4th of July, with the club. My Norwegian language skills are pretty poor, so I haven't visited the clubhouse or done any other events.

Drop me a line when you get settled in Stavanger, I'd like to check out your Cougar.
Later
Jeff

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Wellcome and late Merry Christmas! Please do post pictures as soon as possible. Allways great to see new cats. It would be cool to get some history as well.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Welcome and it's great to see Cougars all over the world. Cheers.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
You mean Halden by the Swedish border ?
If so, that's not far away from us. Neither of us having our cars over, we've never made any of their meets.
We borrow her brother's Corvette to go to some of the meets around here.
Being a Chebby tho, we have to stay local so it's not so far to tow it home. :evil:
I also have to be careful nobody I know sees me in it. :uhoh:

Sure, I'll give you a pip once we get settled.
I'm not 100% sure if we'll get our cars over this year or not, my lady's Olds is running fine, but mt Cougar was playing up a bit last time I parked it up. Might need to trailer it over and give it an engine rebuild.
Will need to do some work to get it EU approved on Norway anyway, need to refit exhausts and fit door handles. Even if I get it over, it might not see the road much in 2012 unless I can get it approved in the UK before I leave.

And don't worry about your Norwegian, I don't speak it much either !! :bloated:

Thanks for the welcome!

The AMCAR scene in Stavanger seems to be OK, but not as big as some other areas I think. I've heard Halden has a good AMCAR scene, seems to be popular up north as well. I think they have weekly meetings at the clubhouse, but they only cruise once a month. I've only done one cruise, 4th of July, with the club. My Norwegian language skills are pretty poor, so I haven't visited the clubhouse or done any other events.

Drop me a line when you get settled in Stavanger, I'd like to check out your Cougar.
Later
Jeff

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No doubt about it, cats are very scattered around the globe! Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about it....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong to post pictures, do I need to host them on Photobucket? When I try to use the utility here it never uploads. Sorry to be such a luddite....
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts