Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: My Cougar on Ebay

Looks clean, had a '69 h code vert years ago, good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I like what was done with the 1/4 speakers (but acoustically it won't work too well I'm guessing, open back on the speakers?) and added shoulder belts (and looks like offset the 1/4 window cranks too). Wonder how you got the smooth transition surrounding the speakers.

Did you do this work? If yes, I am interested in how you did it!

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speakers sound great! Especially with the top up. Top down and 75 mph on hwy it still rocks but not as good. Did not do the work myself so I do not know. The sub in the trunk really sets it apart especially when listening to The Bone Yard on the built in XM radio.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice !

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had real money at $16k. Does that seem like about going value for it? I was hoping closer to $20k but i do not have to sell it so i will probably keep it. I might relist in a week or 2 just to see. Doesn't Ebay let you relist it once for free? Also what is the latest on rechroming the convertible hockey sticks? I want to redo them but not for tons of money either.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well I had real money at $16k. Does that seem like about going value for it? I was hoping closer to $20k but i do not have to sell it so i will probably keep it. I might relist in a week or 2 just to see. Doesn't Ebay let you relist it once for free? Also what is the latest on rechroming the convertible hockey sticks? I want to redo them but not for tons of money either.
The story on hockey sticks is they are (still) very expensive to have done and that is not likely to change.

As for value, look at what user "benchseat67" just got for his '69 xr7 'vert I think he had a $14K BIN and a reserve somewhat less than that. I believe it sold for less than the BIN. Assuming the cars are comparable (not saying they are), I think you had good money at $16K.

Would I like these cars to be worth more? Heck yeah, I would! But unless the car is a total restoration of a very high quality, you may have found the ceiling, i.e., the market has spoken?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
16 was a good price...with non working AC...also before listing again I would spend some time detailing the engine otherwise the car looks good...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16 was a good price...with non working AC...also before listing again I would spend some time detailing the engine other wise the car looks good...
What would you recommend doing exactly? I thought about dong it but did not really know what people were looking for. Valve covers? Breather? After market stuff?

Also my mechanic is begging me to drop a FE engine in it with all new computer and transmission. Any ideas on what fits well? My dads got a North Star with computer married to a brand new rear wheel drive transmission that I would love to use but really doubt it could ever fit or be worth the trouble to make fit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Dropping a new engine FE is a project I did it cost and time you will not get your money back out of it...A northstar I have one in my Bonneville not excatly the most reliaible or easy to work on motor plus putting it into a cougar will require months of time and bags of money..

Detailing just good hoses and clamps, sand down the shock towers and repaint , look at some clean detailed engines on my car domain site i have some before and after lots of times just takes alot of elbow grease and time to get them to look good...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropping a new engine FE is a project I did it cost and time you will not get your money back out of it...A northstar I have one in my Bonneville not excatly the most reliaible or easy to work on motor plus putting it into a cougar will require months of time and bags of money..

Detailing just good hoses and clamps, sand down the shock towers and repaint , look at some clean detailed engines on my car domain site i have some before and after lots of times just takes alot of elbow grease and time to get them to look good...
What is the best motor trans combo to put in? 4.6? 5.0? Without major modifications to shock tower etc? My mechanic wants to put in a 4.6 motor out of a wrecked police car. Is it the dual overhead cams that will fit and not the quad? Just wanting to know the easiest, and cost efficient one to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Best motor/trans combo that is the most cost effiecent..well that all depends on what you want...best would be to just rebuild what you have...otherwise stroking a 302 or 351 with a rebuilt C4 seems to be popular...the mod motors require cutting alot, plus cost of wiring is a major undertaking...again all depends on what your goals are...

I would love to put in a new '12 5.0 but cost of the conversion is about 15K for motor, trans, wire, custom parts ect...Gateway Mustang just did a 69 Mustang fastback conversion for Hot Rod in this month mag looks great but for them to replecate would probably be 30-40K...without the car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts