Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Columbia, SC and got my Cougar I traded away a couple of years ago. Probably didn't have 100 miles put on it in over 6yrs. Still in the same condition, except for a distributor swap. Needs restored, motor already done, just needs cleaned up. Tried to get insurance from Hagerty, but they turned me down due to "household" driving record (18 yr old son with 3 speeding tickets, 3 seat belt violations, and 2 moving violations). Here is the Marti. I'll post pics later .

SCAN0065.jpg

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Congrats, on getting her back!:beer: Looking forward to seeing the pics. John

·
Registered
564 Posts
brakes yes for 68.5 CJ steering no at least on a Mustang. Never seen a Marti for 68.5 w/o the PDB called out before this one.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per Marti, no disc brakes. They are discs on the car, but they were there when I got I got it the first time. I like the Traction Wide Oval Tires option.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Wow, besides thepower train only 3 options.Got to be one of the shortest option lists I have seen on a Marti!
Cool Cougar. Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This brake thing has me curious. The fact the Cougar is not a GT like the Mustang is likely the answer. It may not have been a mandatory extra cost option or possibly it was an included option on a Cougar thus no call out. Royce will know for sure. Power front disc brakes were required at extra cost on Mustang 68.5 CJ's as they were all GT's.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Both my GTE and XR7G S Code list Disc Brakes on the Marti so I would think your CJ should have it listed on the marti as well if it was built with them.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
What is up with no dealer name? I don't think that I have seen a Marti without that before.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Kevin doesn't have a definitive list of all of the dealer names to match the codes in the production database. That's one reason Phil and I collect any and all dealer names and addresses and put them in the cougar database, which we then share with Kevin.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did you originally buy this car in Minneapolis?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I lived in the Mpls area and remember seeing and test driving a Lime Frost CJ at a used car lot around 1970. Also a Lime Frost S code XR7G w/Sunroof. Often wondered if either survived.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you originally buy this car in Minneapolis?
Yes, I bought it from a guy named Brian. Don't remember his last name. I understand he has another cougar now. The car hasn't changed since then. The guy in Columbia did buy some parts for it, decklid, seat covers, ps fender, and a few other items. runs and sounds great. Trying to get some pics posted, still.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
See the link in my signature for a guide to posting pictures that I did a while ago... it's pretty outdated at this point, but it may help. I should do a new one! Your car sounds awesome.. looking forward to the pics

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pics for starters. Its dusty from the trip home. I am currently out of town for training, and when I get back I'll get it cleaned up and take more detailed pics. I have a few questions and parts needs. 1) What is the correct carb? 2) What's the correct way to hook up choke? 3) Need kick down linkage.

Here is a link to pics http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb246/bogusb2/68%20Cobra%20Jet%20Cougar/

·
Registered
76 Posts
That seems like an early 428 CJ build date. Does anyone know when the CJ was first put in a Cougar? I thought the public press release for Mustang CJ's was in April.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know of are early order in Febuary where dealership told buyer of 428CJ as option. It was not yet advertised for cougar. This was the next motor to replace the 427side oiler when stock was depleted. The cost to Ford was $300 savings. The bean counters loved that. Ford already new of Tasca Fords build and results from the drag strip..

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Greg, according to The Mustang & CougarTagbook the carburator for a '68 428CJ with a automatic would be C8OF AB. Not sure what type carb or CFM (my guess would be a Holley 735). John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Greg, I just checked WCCC and it lists a Holley 4150, Holley list #4168 735 cfm. The C8OF-9510-AB would be stamped on the carb air horn. They're out of stock. John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts